You aren't gonna believe this!!

Just-Moxie

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
This is actually the first skunk evidence I have encountered on this property. Since 2010 when we moved in. I have seen possum, fox, snakes and hawks though. It does seem like there are more dead skunks in the roadway though.

As for his choice of where to spray?...we spend 90% of our waking time IN the kitchen.

Nyboy

Garden Master
Reaction score
YOU HAVE SNAKES LIVING UNDER YOUR HOUSE :th:th:th:th:th:thTake a garden sprayer fill with bleach attach to hose spray as much of crawl space as you can. A nother mixture is baking soda mix with hydrogen peroxide.put in garden sprayer and spray crawl space

Just-Moxie

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
:ep yeah. But as long as they aren't copperheads (I have killed 3 or 4 since then), the rest are king snakes, black racers, and something else I forgot what. Those...catch mice, and one of them eats copperheads. :thumbsup

Just-Moxie

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I can still smell a whiff of skunk when I walk onto the laundry porch from outside. I also caught a whiff by the back bedroom, outside. It might have went under the house to stay warm, as we had a cold spell this week.

The air spray I found did an excellent job by the way. And it isn't as heavy as Lysol might have been. Cats are sensitive to sprays, from what I hear. I sprayed really good when they were locked out in the other rooms.

Collector

Garden Master
Reaction score
Yeah skunk smell is maybe the worst scent there is and super powerful when fresh. Usually it gets weaker everyday and after about 7-10 days it is about gone. You don't see skunks much because they are mostly nocturnal. Make sure you pick up all animal food at night and cover garbage cans it should help. I have been lightly dusted by spray once lucky I was on a motorcycle I went by fast lol. Sorry about your ill scented home hope it wears off soon.

Just-Moxie

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Yeah skunk smell is maybe the worst scent there is and super powerful when fresh. Usually it gets weaker everyday and after about 7-10 days it is about gone. You don't see skunks much because they are mostly nocturnal. Make sure you pick up all animal food at night and cover garbage cans it should help. I have been lightly dusted by spray once lucky I was on a motorcycle I went by fast lol. Sorry about your ill scented home hope it wears off soon.

We have chickens. But I make sure they get their treats before noon, so they have plenty of time to get rid of any evidence. We also do not have garbage pick up, so nothing outside to attract varmints. That is why it is surprising to have a skunk under the house. Maybe a young one.

The kittens were acting like they heard something yesterday morning, towards the north end of the house. Acting scared even. It must have been the skunk they were hearing. But for the skunk to just spray...and not hearing anything else...is why I suspect it might have ran into a snake.

About 2 summers ago....DH was walking into the kitchen, from the living area.....and a snake was wriggling it's way across the kitchen door. The door was shut, so it was in the kitchen. I don't remember how he got it out. I saw it too. I am usually the snake catcher here though :thumbsup

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
:ep yeah. But as long as they aren't copperheads (I have killed 3 or 4 since then), the rest are king snakes, black racers, and something else I forgot what. Those...catch mice, and one of them eats copperheads. :thumbsup
I could never live anywhere where another snake has to eat the copperheads.

Beekissed

Garden Master
Reaction score
Tis mating season for skunks, so it could be that your skunk merely sprayed to ward off a male until she was in full heat. They will do that when they are not "in the mood" for a mating.

That's why you are seeing more skunks killed on the road right now...lots of skunk movement going on.

Latest posts