You aren't gonna believe this!!

canesisters

Garden Master
Reaction score
Does anyone else have trouble telling a faint whiff of skunk from a faint whiff of tuna from a faint whiff of coffee???

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
Does anyone else have trouble telling a faint whiff of skunk from a faint whiff of tuna from a faint whiff of coffee???

Yes! It's funny you mention that, there have been times I've been making coffee and my husband will pause and say -do you smell skunk?
Once in a while I also get a hint of tuna when the coffees brewing. Why is that do you suppose?

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
No. Not those.

There are plenty of odors that I don't like. Plenty that I do like. I know that I had a better sense of smell when I was younger.

It's supposedly a myth that people with a loss of one sense have other senses that are superior to the average. I think both generalizations are true: with sensory loss, we rely on the other senses. They have limits, however. All senses are just employed to try to make sense of the world.

Steve
edit: verbs !

Last edited:

canesisters

Garden Master
Reaction score
There is a trace chemical in all three that is the same.
I've heard that people who can detect this difference have very sensitive sense of smell. Either that's not right or I've gone 'nose blind' to about half my life... :\

canesisters

Garden Master
Reaction score
Totally off topic - BUT - talking about relying on one sense over another...
I woke up some time pre-dawn Sunday AM with the sensation that the bed was spinning so hard I was surprised it didn't throw me off. I've never had more than a passing slight sense of vertigo so this was fascinating. Once I was sure I wasn't going to fall out of bed, I went back to sleep. A couple hours later it was time to get up and start getting everyone put out and/or fed. It was BIZARE to sit on the side of the bed and have my balance SCREAMING at me "we're FALLING" but my eyes were saying "no we're not!" It was so bad that it made me really nauseous. I spent the next few hours working REAL hard to ignore what my inner ears were telling me and focusing on what my eyes were saying. A VERY odd morning.

I'm sure that I looked like I was completely plastered staggering to the barn. :cool:

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
Totally off topic - BUT - talking about relying on one sense over another...
I woke up some time pre-dawn Sunday AM with the sensation that the bed was spinning so hard I was surprised it didn't throw me off. I've never had more than a passing slight sense of vertigo so this was fascinating. Once I was sure I wasn't going to fall out of bed, I went back to sleep. A couple hours later it was time to get up and start getting everyone put out and/or fed. It was BIZARE to sit on the side of the bed and have my balance SCREAMING at me "we're FALLING" but my eyes were saying "no we're not!" It was so bad that it made me really nauseous. I spent the next few hours working REAL hard to ignore what my inner ears were telling me and focusing on what my eyes were saying. A VERY odd morning.

I'm sure that I looked like I was completely plastered staggering to the barn. :cool:

It's a good thing you have a stash of Bail money.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Any upper respiratory infections lately, @canesisters ? Earache, sinuses causing you trouble?

I have ridiculous balance when I can't see. I mean, I can walk from where I can see into darkness and feel that I'd better be down on all fours within a yard or two! Even crawling would require balance. And, this problem was apparent long before I had the awkwardness that I have now.

Steve

canesisters

Garden Master
Reaction score
Nope. Thank goodness no illness at all lately other than a runny nose now and then.
I got the critters taken care of, told the renter to find her own way to church and crawled back in bed for a couple hours. Then wove my way to the bathroom and put a drop of Purification oil blend on a cotton ball and into each ear - BINGO!, was making toast & eggs in half an hour. The nausea from several hours of topsy-turvy-ness hung around a while so I used that as an excuse to spend almost the whole day in the recliner under a pile of sleeping cats. ;)

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
Nope. Thank goodness no illness at all lately other than a runny nose now and then.
I got the critters taken care of, told the renter to find her own way to church and crawled back in bed for a couple hours. Then wove my way to the bathroom and put a drop of Purification oil blend on a cotton ball and into each ear - BINGO!, was making toast & eggs in half an hour. The nausea from several hours of topsy-turvy-ness hung around a while so I used that as an excuse to spend almost the whole day in the recliner under a pile of sleeping cats. ;)

:) that sounds nice to me. :) other than the nausea part...

i have had bad cases like that, vertigo, from inner ear problems, if i move too quickly i'll be nauseated and barf. one reason i could not be an oceanographer, too sensitive to balance changes. i can't even swing on a swing... :( amusement parks always for other people. one time my brother's talked me into going on one of those tilt-a-whirls and when i came off it i was several shades of green.

Latest posts