You know, Santa Delivers

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
Starting keto the day after Christmas. View attachment 33938
I know very little about keto. Keep me posted as I need to lose 5lbs. I know what I'm doing wrong and what to do but it's just too darn hard. I took a baby step this week. I didn't buy Cheetos! Next I need to work on reducing sugar consumption. But first I have to finish the candy that I have. 😂

Mary

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
Steve walking around with arms up is great. You are actually using your body weight when you raise those arms. In addition to what you are doing I would incorporate more body weight movements. For example, while sitting do arm curls, or arm raises with baby weights like 2lbs or a food can item. For more leg work, try raising your legs up and down while sitting or holding on to the counter do shallow squats. You can also just sit up and down on a chair.

Mary

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Ha!

That is "Good Habits, Bad Habits."

It's about gaining good habits AND overcoming bad habits so I'm hoping there may be some "had" habits that I have overcome :).

Steve

Just-Moxie

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
You NEED to tell us how you lost 68lbs!!!!

Mary

In 2013, I started getting lots of eggs from my little flock of chickens. So I half heartedly experimented with Keto diet. Low carb and all. Eating 3 eggs scrambled at breakfast. A light lunch, and less of whatever I cooked for the husband for supper.
By spring, when he and I were walking around the gardens discussing what to till up etc.....I found out my spandex exercise pants were too big. !!! Spandex. Supposed to be skin tight...right? I kept losing them...lol
So, I weighed myself the next morning. I was down 27 lbs. woot

Ok, time to get real. By 2017, I was heavy on the peri-menopause thing...and received a diabetes 2 Dx. So I got more serious.

So, here is me.....6 yrs later. Down 68 lbs. Riding on a plateau for now. But that's fine. That's how my body works. I also have PCOS, so that complicates weightloss a bit.

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
In 2013, I started getting lots of eggs from my little flock of chickens. So I half heartedly experimented with Keto diet. Low carb and all. Eating 3 eggs scrambled at breakfast. A light lunch, and less of whatever I cooked for the husband for supper.
By spring, when he and I were walking around the gardens discussing what to till up etc.....I found out my spandex exercise pants were too big. !!! Spandex. Supposed to be skin tight...right? I kept losing them...lol
So, I weighed myself the next morning. I was down 27 lbs. woot

Ok, time to get real. By 2017, I was heavy on the peri-menopause thing...and received a diabetes 2 Dx. So I got more serious.

So, here is me.....6 yrs later. Down 68 lbs. Riding on a plateau for now. But that's fine. That's how my body works. I also have PCOS, so that complicates weightloss a bit.
How long did it take you to lose the 27lbs? Were you eating any carbs at all?

Mary

Just-Moxie

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
How long did it take you to lose the 27lbs? Were you eating any carbs at all?

Mary

That was about 3 months. I ate carbs, but I just increased my proteins....eggs. Eggs, cheese, picante sauce for breakfast, mostly.

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
@ninnymary , I think losing those needed 5 pounds is harder than losing the first 20, or 30. I think a body puts the brakes on once it gets close to target weight...I don't know, maybe it's the fear of starvation that is in every body.
Conversely, if you only have 5 pounds to lose in the first place, you can lose it pretty rapidly by going strict keto, but it is going to be water emptying out of your cells. You can keep it off as long as you are strict keto, but as soon as you allow yourself a slice of bread, the process of utilizing that carbohydrate makes your body again retain water in the cells. Therefore: weight gain.
If you are borderline diabetic or already type 2, Keto certainly offers help in that situation, and you have more incentive (hopefully) to stick to it. And you lose weight in the process. Yay!
Anyone who decides to start a strict keto lifestyle needs to research it thoroughly. You can mess yourself up by eating only protein and veggies, without enough fat. And you need mineral supplements: calcium, potassium, sodium, magnesium, so you don't get leg cramps.

The Next Big Thing in the news now is that intermittent fasting is being considered for weight loss and insulin control. Fasting, once you have broken the sugar habit by using keto, is going to be easier, as you have already trained your body to use body fat rather than a constant inflow of carbohydrates for energy.

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
@ninnymary , I think losing those needed 5 pounds is harder than losing the first 20, or 30. I think a body puts the brakes on once it gets close to target weight...I don't know, maybe it's the fear of starvation that is in every body.
Conversely, if you only have 5 pounds to lose in the first place, you can lose it pretty rapidly by going strict keto, but it is going to be water emptying out of your cells. You can keep it off as long as you are strict keto, but as soon as you allow yourself a slice of bread, the process of utilizing that carbohydrate makes your body again retain water in the cells. Therefore: weight gain.
If you are borderline diabetic or already type 2, Keto certainly offers help in that situation, and you have more incentive (hopefully) to stick to it. And you lose weight in the process. Yay!
Anyone who decides to start a strict keto lifestyle needs to research it thoroughly. You can mess yourself up by eating only protein and veggies, without enough fat. And you need mineral supplements: calcium, potassium, sodium, magnesium, so you don't get leg cramps.

The Next Big Thing in the news now is that intermittent fasting is being considered for weight loss and insulin control. Fasting, once you have broken the sugar habit by using keto, is going to be easier, as you have already trained your body to use body fat rather than a constant inflow of carbohydrates for energy.
So true, So Lucky. My problem is that I crave sweets. Daily I eat ice cream, candy, and cheetos. I know better! But I have no will power and the weight gain goes all to the belly. Going to the gym 4 times a week is probably what's keeping me at normal weight. But my gym buddy and I are going to work on our diets more this year.

I am doing the intermittent fasting 12/12. It's easy and the norm for me. I eat between 7:30am-7:30pm. Probably the better one is 16/8 but for me it would be 11-7pm. I can see how you would lose weight on it since your basically skipping a meal but there is no way I can wait till 11. I'm already hungry at 6:30am.

I am pre diabetic so have always been conscious of my diet. The doctor says I am already doing everything I can so we just monitor it.

Mary

Latest posts