You want to test seeds for free?

davaroo

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
HiDelight said:
I am happy with what I recieved and grateful they sent it so I am going to write up an essay about a "perpetual garden"and just send it to them :)

If I get nothing else no big deal ..one thing is better than nothing I think

seeds are fairly cheap anyway
You are right of course, seeds are a cheap indulgence. I'm getting seeds for $.03 per pack right now, from one store.

My thing is, here is another government program which we pay for - yet we are scrutinized by the Seed Police for wanting to participate?

It's my fault, really. After all, I tried to get in on a "free" government handout deal, so I should have seen this coming. Like most government programs, I got what was coming to me...

Greensage45

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Hi,

Just received another pack of Peanuts, Arachis hypogaea, and on my letter this time it says:

This germplasm is being 'freely' distributed by the U.S. National Plant Germplasm System (NPGS) for educational, agricultural research, or breeding purposes.

I really do not get any indication that they feel I am not a 'proper' participant.

Sadly though, seed to harvest is 120 days (4 months) and I cannot guarantee that a frost won't hit before December, so these will definitely have to wait until next Spring.

Too cool.

Ron

Plus, now I have two varieties, Phaseolus vulgaris and now Arachis hypogaea, so now breeding will be my new endeavor. :p:p

davaroo

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Greensage45 said:
Hi,

Just received another pack of Peanuts, Arachis hypogaea, and on my letter this time it says:

This germplasm is being 'freely' distributed by the U.S. National Plant Germplasm System (NPGS) for educational, agricultural research, or breeding purposes.

I really do not get any indication that they feel I am not a 'proper' participant.

Sadly though, seed to harvest is 120 days (4 months) and I cannot guarantee that a frost won't hit before December, so these will definitely have to wait until next Spring.

Too cool.

Ron

Plus, now I have two varieties, Phaseolus vulgaris and now Arachis hypogaea, so now breeding will be my new endeavor. :p:p
Interesting. I have tried again, this time for some Romano beans and Fond Blanc melons. I only requested a couple of items and these are from a different repository... so we'll see if that makes a difference.

HiDelight

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
davaroo said:
HiDelight said:
I am happy with what I recieved and grateful they sent it so I am going to write up an essay about a "perpetual garden"and just send it to them :)

You are right of course, seeds are a cheap indulgence. I'm getting seeds for $.03 per pack right now, from one store.

My thing is, here is another government program which we pay for - yet we are scrutinized by the Seed Police for wanting to participate?

It's my fault, really. After all, I tried to get in on a "free" government handout deal, so I should have seen this coming. Like most government programs, I got what was coming to me...
awwwww Davaroo don't let it get you down! you may get more in the mail I think they send them out in bunches becuase I get some here and there now sometimes it is just four in a package and one was a huge package :)
it was pretty clear what they were doing this for ..not to be downer here but they state clearly what they want these seed used for the fact we get them at all is kind of cool since we are not the target of the program

I would love to get seeds for 0.03/pack how lucky is that???? omg I want to go to your store!

I grab seeds of plants that hang over the sidewalk for free :)

I would never touch anything in people's yards but if they hang over the sidewalk when I am out for my walks and to get inspired ...MINE :ya

davaroo

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
HiDelight said:
davaroo said:
HiDelight said:

awwwww Davaroo don't let it get you down! you may get more in the mail I think they send them out in bunches becuase I get some here and there now sometimes it is just four in a package and one was a huge package :)
it was pretty clear what they were doing this for ..not to be downer here but they state clearly what they want these seed used for the fact we get them at all is kind of cool since we are not the target of the program

I would love to get seeds for 0.03/pack how lucky is that???? omg I want to go to your store!

I would never touch anything in people's yards but if they hang over the sidewalk when I am out for my walks and to get inspired ...MINE :ya
I'm an inveterate seed saver, too. The potential they represent is something I cannot ignore. I stand guilty of that obsession.

The store with the 3-cent seeds is the local Family Dollar. They have placed their seasonal seed rack on clearance. You won't find any exotics or specialty seeds, just common "garden variety" cultivars (pardon the pun). But a the price it is almost impossible to pass up.
I'm considering buying all they have and just giving them away here for the price of postage. Any body interested in THAT?

As far an the NPGS is concerned, I am intrigued by the whole thing. I think it is a fantastic resource and one that I am pleased to pay taxes into (although I am torn by that.... more in a minute). I can also accept they have limited resources. So I am the one who should apologize for being the "downer" here - I didn't want to give that impression.

But I am like a diamond - I have many facets. One of of my many "facets" is that of a staunch Constitutionalist, making me I'm something of an anachronism these days. What this means, in a nutshell, is that I don't appreciate,

A. Government intrusion
B. Government elitism

They work for us, if you'll recall. This is why I'm torn on the NPGS. The Constitution forbids the government from levying taxes except for its own maintenance and protection of the nation. So, when we are made to pay for program after program, we are being put upon by the folks in Washington.
On the other hand, the NPGS is one program that has value to the nation as a whole, even if it is not within the letter of our Charter. So I'm willing to support it, albeit within limits. Like I said - I'm torn.

I'll get off that now... I don't want to turn Easy Garden into a hotbed of political strife.

SO, I requested some Romano bean and Fond Blanc melon seeds the other day, on behalf of my M.U.S.E Foundation (Maximum Urban Sustainability Experiment). So we'll see what happens as I tweak the process.

Greensage45

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Hi Davaroo,

I cannot think of anyone more qualified for conducting research than the home gardener. The opportunity for so many variables to be discovered.

It is the home gardener who is at the front lines of soil and weather conditions.

It is so hilarious to me, as well, at how there is no part of our government that we do not pay for. It is that simple, it always was our money. :lol:

Take care, I love this thread by the way!

Ron

rebecca100

Sprout
Reaction score
I just got some of my seeds. The watermelon, peanut, and bellpepper seeds. It took a couple of weeks, but I din't receive any letters other than one saying the seeds I got were contaminated and had to be cleaned to remove viruses before planting. Bleach water, if I remember right.

HiDelight

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
davaroo said:
HiDelight said:
davaroo said:

I'm an inveterate seed saver, too. The potential they represent is something I cannot ignore. I stand guilty of that obsession.

The store with the 3-cent seeds is the local Family Dollar. They have placed their seasonal seed rack on clearance. You won't find any exotics or specialty seeds, just common "garden variety" cultivars (pardon the pun). But a the price it is almost impossible to pass up.
I'm considering buying all they have and just giving them away here for the price of postage. Any body interested in THAT?

As far an the NPGS is concerned, I am intrigued by the whole thing. I think it is a fantastic resource and one that I am pleased to pay taxes into (although I am torn by that.... more in a minute). I can also accept they have limited resources. So I am the one who should apologize for being the "downer" here - I didn't want to give that impression.

But I am like a diamond - I have many facets. One of of my many "facets" is that of a staunch Constitutionalist, making me I'm something of an anachronism these days. What this means, in a nutshell, is that I don't appreciate,

A. Government intrusion
B. Government elitism

They work for us, if you'll recall. This is why I'm torn on the NPGS. The Constitution forbids the government from levying taxes except for its own maintenance and protection of the nation. So, when we are made to pay for program after program, we are being put upon by the folks in Washington.
On the other hand, the NPGS is one program that has value to the nation as a whole, even if it is not within the letter of our Charter. So I'm willing to support it, albeit within limits. Like I said - I'm torn.

I'll get off that now... I don't want to turn Easy Garden into a hotbed of political strife.

SO, I requested some Romano bean and Fond Blanc melon seeds the other day, on behalf of my M.U.S.E Foundation (Maximum Urban Sustainability Experimental). So we'll see what happens as I tweak the process.
wow! I just wanted some seeds :)

Latest posts