Your First Signs of Spring

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
If something is popping up, or something going on that lets you know spring is coming in your neck of the woods go ahead and post it here! I'd love to see each person getting the first hint and first sign that the winter will end.

Look, I'm already excited about it over here in NC!!! :ya

:rose 2 Weeks ago I saw my first daffodils pop up, today I notice my tulips a good 3"+ out of the ground and much fuller. (More tulips this year then last!) :rose

So what signs have caught your eye? :coolsun

Greenthumb18

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I do have some crocus that are starting to come up but with all the snow we got their buried. I can't wait for all the spring bulbs to start popping up, i guess down south the spring flowers are up a good few inches already.

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
I get excited when I see the color of the bare branches of the shrubs and trees perk up...just a slight flush of color...tan or reddish and suddenly they begin to look alive again...then the buds swell. Saw the first bluebirds about 2 weeks ago too. And the birds are beginning to sing first thing of a morning now. Love it!

Whitewater

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
This may sound funny (and I'm sure it is funny! LOL!) but it's a true sign of spring around here, mostly 'cause our winters are so harsh.

One of the very earliest signs of spring here where I live just happened a couple days ago -- we got our first door-to-door solicitor of the season!

Not sure who or what wanted to talk to me, it rang the doorbell literally about three hours after I'd gone to sleep, woke up the dogs, and basically created havoc in the house until I could assure the animals that "Stranger Danger" (seriously, every time somebody walks by the dogs go into Terror Threat Alert Neon Red) wasn't going to kill, maim, steal or otherwise injure us.

Then I printed out a No Soliciting sign for our front door. In big (80 pnt) letters! And then we all went back to bed.

The door-to-door folks are even earlier than crocuses and songbirds, LOL! It's because suddenly it's not a death-defying event to walk along the sidewalks . . .

Yep, spring is on its way, even though there's still a good two feet of snow on the ground here. Today the high was 39' :ep I couldn't believe it. I hope this warming trend continues!

Whitewater

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I live on more than one border, perhaps in many ways, we all do. Spring is incremental here. First one part of the environment challenges the existing order of things, then another element comes in.

This has been a winter with temperatures rising to about 6-8F above normal on many, many days. Still, warming and certainly sunshine, hasn't been consistent. Last week, we had snow, rain and sunny days. Yesterday, it felt more like April than the end of February.

Just after the first of the year, I saw a robin in the walnut tree across the road. There was another one over there a couple weeks later. A robin was in my backyard the other day. But, I was in Minneapolis last week and saw 2 robins and low temperatures still in the single digits.

There were bugs flying around during a remarkable afternoon yesterday when the thermometer topped 50! And, I was delighted to find snow drops blooming along a little creek on my walk thru a park! However, I've seen snow drops blooming beside great piles of crusty melting snow before.

I was wondering if the grass is greening and really know that it must be. But, the change has been so slow - it's hard to say absolutely for sure.

What am I waiting for to tell me that spring is really on its way? I suppose it is color. Real green and then the blooming of bright yellow flowers, daffodils and dandelions and the 1st purple lawn violet . . .

Steve

curly_kate

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
The meteorologist said this morning that our 'normal' high is 48*, but we're going to be lucky if we get to the mid-30s today. Its been a very cold, snowy winter this year, and I'm going to be very happy to see it go! That being said, our piles of snow have pretty much melted away, and there are crocuses popping up (just the leaves - no flowers yet). I've also noticed my daffodils & hyacinths peeking out, too. The berry bushes and the oak tree I planted last fall all have buds on them. At this point in the winter, I always have the fleeting thought that spring is NOT going to come around this year. So I look for the smallest signs of progress.

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
Well, I won't see anything growing for quite awhile...But, when I was out shoveling snow (2 feet of it), I did hear the birds singing and the snow was melting fast. So, I really do think spring is on the way...

Rosalind

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
We had our first robin on 18th January. Followed by a whole bunch more. So it's not just one dumb one that tried to overwinter, it was about 10 in a little flock.

Making maple syrup now, and getting cool-weather mushrooms, I guess that would be our first signs.

wifezilla

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I heard birds singing outside the window this morning. I haven't heard any of the natives lately. That means the orioles that stop by on their migration route should be by soon :D After that the robins show up!
:ya

P.S. Hey Rosalind...
Do you do swaps for maple syrup???

Latest posts