Your First Signs of Spring

boggybranch

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
When the daffodils start blooming and the purple martins start returning to the gourds.......yep, spring's right around the corner.

NMbirds

Sprout
Reaction score
Somehow the birds' songs shift gears, it's light a lot earlier, there are some green shoots popping up here and there AND the calendar says March. However, we're in Zone 5 at 6,000 feet in the high desert so it's slow to arrive and the growing season is short. Last frost is May 15! But hope springs eternal and Spring is a hopeful and hoped for season, soon...:watering

damummis

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
Hens are broody, robins, great blue herons, daffodils poking thru, NO snow, maple trees budding, hobble berry bushes budding, pussy willows................

These are a few signs I have notices here on the island. It is a very early spring.

Now watch I just jinxed myself and we'll get a blizzard in the middle of the month or April.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I'm going to jump back in here: Damummis, you are on an island in the Great Lakes if I remember right . . . is that correct?

I spent the winter once in the Deep South, as I've sometimes heard it called. But, I'm just wondering these days how much the lengthening days are noticed.

NMbirds, you are at a high elevation and not far south in that very large state of New Mexico. Still, you are probably not above 35 north latitude.

Some of us are "careening" towards a 12 hour day on the 20th. The change in the hours of daylight are just incredible for me here near 48 north. Some here in the US will experience a 2 hour increase in daylight but I will go from 8 hours :( of daylight around the first of the year - - to 12 hours :cool:!!

The change must be dramatic for folks living farther north!! And no, I'm not planning to move up there just to find out . . . ;)

Steve

edited to say, More robins here!

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
I'm alittle late with signs of spring. My beautiful orange tulips are about to finish blooming. My dwarf black mission fig is about to bud. And we have year round birds here including the hummingbirds.

The weather has fluctuanted between rain and beautiful spring like weather. I have added compost and amended my soil and am ready to start planting soon. I've even set out my tomatoe cages to figure out my garden layout.

I can't imagine living in areas where there is still snow. I am very fortunate to have mild winters here in the bay area.

Mary

Lavender2

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
ninnymary said:
I can't imagine living in areas where there is still snow. I am very fortunate to have mild winters here in the bay area.

Mary
I have lived here my whole life, Mary ... and I still don't like to imagine it ... but there it is ... :lol:

I heard the geese yesterday though ... :celebrate :ya
Of course we have a ways to go until they can land on the pond without sliding across the ice ...:lol: ... but their cackle in the distance is awesome music!:happy_flower

Glad you're getting to enjoy some blooms! .. and get your garden going! :)

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
It's not officially Spring where I live until the frogs start singing! :D
KermittheFrogwithbanjo-1.jpg

(I think I told you BEFORE about our humidity?!?!)

damummis

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
digitS' said:
I'm going to jump back in here: Damummis, you are on an island in the Great Lakes if I remember right . . . is that correct?

I spent the winter once in the Deep South, as I've sometimes heard it called. But, I'm just wondering these days how much the lengthening days are noticed.

NMbirds, you are at a high elevation and not far south in that very large state of New Mexico. Still, you are probably not above 35 north latitude.

Some of us are "careening" towards a 12 hour day on the 20th. The change in the hours of daylight are just incredible for me here near 48 north. Some here in the US will experience a 2 hour increase in daylight but I will go from 8 hours :( of daylight around the first of the year - - to 12 hours :cool:!!

The change must be dramatic for folks living farther north!! And no, I'm not planning to move up there just to find out . . . ;)

Steve

edited to say, More robins here!
No, Atlantic Ocean.

Latest posts