Your images are your images.

jackb

Garden Master
Reaction score
I was doing an online search for Giant Marconi pepper seeds as I want to grow them again next year. It is a hybrid variety so seeds can not be saved from previous crops. To my surprise on one of the sites, I found an image of my hand holding a Giant Marconi pepper I had grown. I wrote to them and said they were using my photo without my permission and they immediately replied that they were taking down the image. Just today I found two more seed companies using my images to market their seeds. This is not the first time this has happened or is it an isolated case. As soon as you click the shutter you have a copyright on the image. No part of the image may be used without your permission so simply cropping or altering the background of the image is not kosher.

http://www.ilike.net.au/products?search=tropic

http://www.ufseeds.com/Tropic-Tomato-Seeds.item

Has anyone else had this problem?

Edit: Urban Farmer is removing the image.

tropic copyright.jpg

giantmarconi-1.jpg

Last edited:

canesisters

Garden Master
Reaction score
I was looking for a picture to use as my avatar on BYC and came across a really pretty picture of eggs in a range of colors in google images. A few days after I uploaded it, I got a PM from someone telling me that it was not cool to steal an image from the forum. I told her that I had gotten it from google images and took it off my profile immediately.
Since then, I've just assumed that any image uploaded onto a public place - like a forum - becomes public property.

jackb

Garden Master
Reaction score
I was looking for a picture to use as my avatar on BYC and came across a really pretty picture of eggs in a range of colors in google images. A few days after I uploaded it, I got a PM from someone telling me that it was not cool to steal an image from the forum. I told her that I had gotten it from google images and took it off my profile immediately.
Since then, I've just assumed that any image uploaded onto a public place - like a forum - becomes public property.

You might check this site:

http://www.socialmediaexaminer.com/copyright-fair-use-and-how-it-works-for-online-images/

There is also a company selling Prizehead lettuce with one of my images on the package. Recently a guy in Florida was using one of my images claiming he grew the tomatoes with fish poop. My son is a professional photographer and I have asked him how he masks his images, however, going back and revising all of the images I have online would be a monumental task. I have found my images on Printerest with credit given to someone else who probably pirated the image from me. It is probably a losing battle though.

Nyboy

Garden Master
Reaction score
BYC had a big thread, this was a couple of years ago. People selling hatching eggs on ebay where using photo of adult birds from BYC members

Last edited:

canesisters

Garden Master
Reaction score
BYC had a big thread now this a couple of years ago. People selling hatching eggs on ebay where using photo of adult birds from BYC members

Not THAT is simply dishonest!!
To pull a picture off the net and say that it is what you are selling (chicks, seeds, etc).
However, once uploaded to the public (forums, facebook, etc) then the picture is out there for anyone to see/use. It SHOULD be yours... but you DID put it out there where anyone could access it....
Isn't that the point of all those posts where people stand with a sign saying something like "this is an experiment to see how far this pict can go in x number of days. Share so I can prove to my students that posting pictures is not private."

aftermidnight

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Well, I look at it a little differently, my images are not that great but I have said many times if any of mine are of any use to anybody feel free to use them. What I object to is using an image of mine and saying it's something it is not. This is Tradescantia "Rondeau Sapphire" an introduction from a little now defunct mail order nursery in Ontario.
I don't believe many are growing it and I have never seen it advertised for sale anywhere else. I've had it since the 80's. Sometimes it blooms double like the pic on the left and sometimes single like the one on the right.
DSCN1613.JPGDSCN5470.JPG
I can't remember which one of my pics they used as all my pictures have since been cropped, I just use them for identification purposes. When this on line nursery used one of my images all they had done was rotate it. They were trying to say it was "Mac's Double ". This is "Mac's Double" a much smaller and darker flower.
DSCN5472.JPG DSCN5469.JPG
"Mac's Double".............................................See the size difference

Unless someone has let it be known their images are up for grabs it is definitely stealing and they should be brought up short.

Annette

Last edited:

Latest posts