Your images are your images.

bobm

Garden Master
Reaction score
As far as I can tell, @Smiles Jr. you are using the avatars left to you by your father. They may be able to go after him for something, but you should be in the clear, huh, @bobm?

Do you know for certain that Dad didn't get permission to use each and every one of the photos? I know that he personally asked me if I could use the smile photo that I posted.
Just saying ... Depends if Smiles Jr. has a notorised consent letter to Smiles Sr. from the picture owner or not. :idunno Then too , if you use an image of you that is not a selfie, the photo taker owns the picture therefore you have to give a credit to the photo taker and/ or get their permission to use the photo ... :th Hey, I am NOT a copyright attorney , so consult a copyright attorney to be sure. :rolleyes:

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Hey, I discover this turn in the conversation right at the moment I'm showing up trying to share an image.

Every time you load a webpage, whatever image is there, loads into the temporary memory of your computer. Some outfits are interested in you saving those images, even as big, downloadable files -- wallpaper. You can then be reminded of them, when you look into your user interface (UI) oooo ... :)

I wanted to offer @Zeedman an avatar idea. He arrived with the full moon of the long nights of winter. It is a wonderful view out of my west facing windows on this cold morning in the single digitS'!.

I've noticed that anime images are popular avatars. We have had several of TEG members with them. Disney allows the use of their copyrights with certain parameters. There are video games with a combination of anime and Disney cartoons! I have just discovered that one image I have posted on TEG is a 2002 wallpaper download from a video game. I changed it a little years ago to make it look more like the little guy was out gardening by the light of the full moon :).

Here I am risking incarceration showing it again, via Photobucket. Honestly, I have no idea if the company offered this as a download for the purpose of people using it this way.
Untitled-2.jpg

Steve

Last edited:

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
This whole idea gets muddier when you think about people altering and photo-shopping various components. If a person removes jackb's hand (from the pic) and makes the pepper orange, and uses a rainbow background, is it still jackb's property?

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I'd imagine that it would be, @so lucky .

By putting it on a forum or photo gallery, the implied intent was that Jack was making it available for people to look at. He wasn't saying that they could take it, cook it anyway they wanted, and serve it back to the public.

Certainly, if they wanted to make money on it, just putting it back out there would not be fair to Jack unless he was agreeable. Altering it and using it to defame would be a wrongdoing.

Steve

jackb

Garden Master
Reaction score
From coprightlaws.com

"Are You Using Copyright-Protected Images?

More and more we are using images to enhance text-based documents, annual reports, websites and blogs. As a universal rule, most images are protected by copyright laws around the world and permission is required to use the image as is, or to adapt it. Let’s look at some of the specifics surrounding this general rule.

Images may be defined in various manners. Under the U.S. Copyright Act, images of various sorts are called “pictorial, graphic, and sculptural works”. These works are defined to “include two-dimensional and three-dimensional works of fine, graphic, and applied art, photographs, prints and art reproductions, maps, globes, charts, diagrams, models, and technical drawings, including architectural plans.” So illustrations, photographs, charts and the like, are all protected by copyright.

The full range of rights attach to owners of these works. The owner of copyright has the exclusive rights to do and to authorize the reproduction of the images, prepare new works based on the original works, distribute copies to the public by sale or other transfer of ownership, or by rental, lease, or lending; and to display the works in public."

Note: permission is required to adapt it.

What really irks me is to find one of my images on Google attributed to someone else, which has happened twice already.

Last edited:

Chickie'sMomaInNH

Garden Master
Reaction score
i get upset the many times i've been on ebay & searching for seed sellers of certain seeds & i've come across copied pics from someone else. i come across some questionable sellers in other countries selling 'blue' strawberries that obviously not naturally blue & clearly photoshopped. then i see many sellers with different locations/names with the same pic, some with the copyright blurred out, others with the pic enlarged & flipped around.

jackb

Garden Master
Reaction score
Searching ebay for giant marconi seeds started this. One seller is insisting the giant marconi is not a hybrid and he has been growing them for years. He may have been growing peppers, but they are not the giant marconi. The other seller came up with an excuse. She is still selling pepper seeds but has changed the photo and description, however I'll bet my bottom dollar she is selling the same seeds that she tried to pass off on me. She managed to contact the "grower" in a matter of seconds before she replied. :rolleyes:

Your previous message
The giant Marconi is a hybrid so how do you obtain seeds from a hybrid? Also,
the photo you are using is mine, lifted from my blog: http://hydroponicworkshop.blogspot.com/

It would have been appropriate to ask permission to use my photo.

Jack

I honestly dont know the answer. Im an importer ,not a grower ,, but I will check it out. And I apologize for using your pic, it was the best I could find.. I will of course change the pic and will delete the ad if it turns out to be fake.. I appreciate you bringing these things to my attention. , Isuspect the seeds could be giant russian sweet peppers ..but I WILL find out for sure... ----ff----

Having contacted the grower, it appears you are entirely correct.. What I'm selling is actually an Italian grilling pepper. not a marconi...The marconi is a hybrid improved version of the italian grilling pepper.. Thanks for your diligence. ,I put a lot of trust in my growers and vendors,but sometimes mistakes are made. I've corrected my listing and the pics... ---ff----

Latest posts