Your Pride and Joy Of The Season

DDRanch

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Here is a floor bouquet I made with my sunflowers. This is the vest vase I have ever had, standing some 5 feet tall. It can really show off large flowers. There are jokers, red sun, teddybear and valentine sunflowers along with my giant marigolds and the tops of my corn plants.

5365_floor_bouquet_004.jpg

Cassandra

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Pretty!!

I am so proud of my tomatoes. Wow, did I sure get a bunch. I've got lots saved in jars and in the freezer. They are my favorite food. I was so sorry for the season to be over.

And eggplants. This is the first time I have ever planted them. And we've just eaten them all as I've harvested them (just planted 4 plants.) But they are still going! I had eggplant pasta last night. YUM

Cassandra

CottageGardener123

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
I haven't done sunflowers... though I have to say I haven't been interested in them at all, but maybe I should try some on the hill on the back of the property where I want to put a bird house. Perhaps it will make them happy!?
Althought birds would appreciate sunflowers when they go to seed they can go just as well without them. Birdfeeders are fun. Heres a pic of one of mine:
5886_bird-feeder.jpg

CottageGardener123

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
I attract chickadees, house finches, gold finches, titmice, doves, grosbeaks, bushtits, towhees, sparrows occasionaly, white crowned sparrows during winter, juncos, and many more. :)

DDRanch

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Hi Cottage Gardner: You are pretty close to me....I am just across the Bay from you. I have noticed a severe shortage of birds this year, have you noticed in your area as well?

We used to have dozens and dozens of hummingbirds last year and noticed this year perhaps 1/2 dozen at best. Last year I filled 3 large feeders every two days for the hummers, this year I have only filled them once.

We built 10 birdhouses last season (bluebirds, tree swallows) and had "waiting lists" and often 2 breedings last Spring and Summer. This year only one house was used by a sparrow family and the others remain empty.

What has your experience been?
Anne

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
We've had more hummingbirds here then I've ever witnessed in my life! All I have is petunias on the back deck and there are at least 3 or 4 on them every night around dusk. On the side of the house though they come and go all day from my foxglove and bearded tongues!

As for other birds.... we have too many mocking birds! I wanna just go nuts over them. So I won't be adding feeders until I see an increase in other species. For now, the birds just feast off my coneflowers and cosmos.

CottageGardener123

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
DD Ranch said:
Hi Cottage Gardner: You are pretty close to me....I am just across the Bay from you. I have noticed a severe shortage of birds this year, have you noticed in your area as well?

We used to have dozens and dozens of hummingbirds last year and noticed this year perhaps 1/2 dozen at best. Last year I filled 3 large feeders every two days for the hummers, this year I have only filled them once.

We built 10 birdhouses last season (bluebirds, tree swallows) and had "waiting lists" and often 2 breedings last Spring and Summer. This year only one house was used by a sparrow family and the others remain empty.

What has your experience been?
Anne
We have a normal ammount of birds. Thats strange you have shortage. What city do you live in?

Latest posts