Your Pride and Joy Of The Season

pinkflower

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
The 2 things that grew GREAT for me was producer (string)beans and impations. Planted both from seed and they didn't die!! Ya! :lol: DD Ranch- love that bouquet!

theOEGBman

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
DD Ranch said:
Hi Cottage Gardner: You are pretty close to me....I am just across the Bay from you. I have noticed a severe shortage of birds this year, have you noticed in your area as well?

We used to have dozens and dozens of hummingbirds last year and noticed this year perhaps 1/2 dozen at best. Last year I filled 3 large feeders every two days for the hummers, this year I have only filled them once.

We built 10 birdhouses last season (bluebirds, tree swallows) and had "waiting lists" and often 2 breedings last Spring and Summer. This year only one house was used by a sparrow family and the others remain empty.

What has your experience been?
Anne
We had TONS of hummingbirds this year, with no feeders at all! They really loved my zinnias.

My Pride and Joy of the season is definitely my entire veggie garden! I havent grown my own ever, so I was very proud of it. I know most of you guys have seen my photos,lol.

DDRanch

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
OEGBman said:
We had TONS of hummingbirds this year, with no feeders at all! They really loved my zinnias.
So I won't take it personally that they all moved across the bay. Happy to hear they are still around. We were worried.
Anne

theOEGBman

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
DD Ranch said:
OEGBman said:
So I won't take it personally that they all moved across the bay. Happy to hear they are still around. We were worried.
Anne
Well, you must have had them for a while because we havent seen this many in many many years! Thanks for sharing. :D

DDRanch

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
theOEGBman said:
DD Ranch said:
OEGBman said:
Anne
Well, you must have had them for a while because we havent seen this many in many many years! Thanks for sharing. :D
If you could send some back next year, I promise we will take good care of them......

Carrol

Leafing Out
Reaction score
Speaking of sunflowers....and by the way, that bouquet is lovely!...........I planted Maximilian perennial sunflowers and was very pleased with them. I'm not a sunflower fan but planted them for the birds and for color along the side of the house. But after seeing that bouquet, I think I'll plant some along the back fence next spring.

DDRanch

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Carrol said:
Speaking of sunflowers....and by the way, that bouquet is lovely!...........I planted Maximilian perennial sunflowers and was very pleased with them. I'm not a sunflower fan but planted them for the birds and for color along the side of the house. But after seeing that bouquet, I think I'll plant some along the back fence next spring.
Carol,
I looked this up and it is a beautiful sunflower. I think I will order some as it looks like it will be a good choice to cut and bring indoors. Thanks for the tip.
Anne

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
since you are all talking sunflowers.... would any of you have some seeds for trade. I'd like to try a few different kinds for height at the back of the property. I have PLENTY of seeds for trade if anyone is willing I'll get you a list of what I have! :p

theOEGBman

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
DD Ranch said:
theOEGBman said:
DD Ranch said:
Anne
If you could send some back next year, I promise we will take good care of them......
I'll be sure to let them know! Im sure we can share. :D

tfpets

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Oh, I love the flowers, especially Sun Flowers with the different colors! I hope I can scrape up something someone wants this year to trade!!

My yard was a wreck this year, so I just threw up my hands and let it run wild!! I'm gonna pay for that!!

After weeks and weeks of smoke, I had let the weeds take over my whole yard and garden. Now, I cant say it's really my pride and joy, but I was coming out of my pet area and standing there, looking at my front gate towards my house, I saw that my Morning Glories had spread across to my Vegetable Garden too!! Its now a complete take over!!

But in the early morning light, its just beautiful to see...winding up my Honeysuckle fence, up and around my tomato baskets, across my garden fence, down the rows and choking off my last cucumber plant....What a sight... :D

Latest posts