YOUR TAX DOLLARS AT WORK OR THE WEATHER AND YOU

Ladyhawke1

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
See original article with links: http://www.commondreams.org/headline/2013/07/17-3

Published on Wednesday, July 17, 2013 by Common Dreams

CIA Funding Climate Manipulation Study

Research to explore various geoengineering techniques and implications on national security

- Lauren McCauley, staff writer

The CIA is funding a geoengineering research project which may explore potentially devastating carbon dioxide removal schemes, such as seeding oceanic algae blooms. (Photo: NASA)The United States Central Intelligence Agency is pouring hundreds of thousands of dollars into a new scientific research project to determine if manipulation of the Earth's environment is a viable means of preventing climate change.

The $630,000 geoengineering study is being spearheaded by the National Academy of Sciences (NAS) and the "US Intelligence Community," according to the NAS website.

NAS spokesman William Kearney confirmed to Mother Joneswhich first broke the storythat the CIA is indeed behind the scheme. Though he refused to comment on their role, CIA spokesman Edward Price acknowledged, "It's natural that on a subject like climate change the Agency would work with scientists to better understand the phenomenon and its implications on national security."

The goal of the study includes a "technical evaluation of a limited number of proposed geoengineering techniques," and an examination of the "potential impacts of deploying these technologies, including possible environmental, economic, and national security concerns."

More specifically, the scientists plan to experiment with various means of solar radiation management (SRM), which Mother Jones describes as "a fancy term for pumping particles into the stratosphere to reflect incoming sunlight away from the planet," as well as carbon dioxide removal (CDR) techniques.

Last fall, American entrepreneur Russ George had independently experimented with one such technique when he dumped 120 tons of iron dust 200 miles off the British Columbia coastline with the intent of creating an algae bloom that would sequester carbon from the atmosphere. His act created an international uproar, and scientists condemned the practice saying it would increase ocean acidification and deplete oxygen in deep waters.

"The risks are huge," wrote Naomi Klein, regarding the growing interest in geoengineering schemes. "Ocean fertilization could trigger dead zones and toxic tides. And multiple simulations have predicted that mimicking the effects of a volcano would interfere with monsoons in Asia and Africa, potentially threatening water and food security for billions of people."

"But what concerns me," she added, "is that far more serious scientists, backed by far deeper pockets, appear poised to actively tamper with the complex and unpredictable natural systems that sustain life on earthwith huge potential for unintended consequences."

As Mother Jones reports, this is not the 'deep-pocketed' Intelligence Agency's first foray into climate manipulation:

The CIA would not say why it had decided to fund the project at this time, but the US government's apparent interest in altering the climate isn't new. The first big use of weather modification as a military tactic came during the Vietnam War, when the Air Force engaged in a cloud seeding program to try to create rainfall and turn the Ho Chi Minh Trail into muck, and thereby gain tactical advantage. Between 1962 and 1983, other would-be weather engineers tried to change the behavior of hurricanes using silver iodide. That effort, dubbed Project Stormfury, was spearheaded by the Navy and the Commerce Department.

This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Share Alike 3.0 License

bobm

Garden Master
Reaction score
Not too far off from rain dances performed by the original inhabitants of this continent during periods of draught in an attempt to modify weather, don't you think. :caf

897tgigvib

Garden Master
Reaction score
Finally. Giant mirrors in orbit to give more warmth and longer seasons for northern areas, and giant orbiting shade umbrellas to cool off areas that get too hot.

All aspects of this need to be studied first. I'm sure glad the CIA is doing their part. Actually, the funding for this study seems amazingly small considering its importance. I hope the CIA study is only one of many.

The only other decent solution would be massive human birth control to reduce the human population to around 100 million in around 100 years.

I've been saying this for years.

Stubbornhillfarm

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
As scary as this sounds...this isn't anything new.

We have a friend in his early 40's that grew up in Russia. Every year, they had this huge festival. (Could still be going on for all I know) And every year the government would do "whatever" they did so that it would not rain. It would be all roses and sunshine! This was a huge event, big money and it was well known to all that the government was controlling the weather.

I have never had a reason to doubt what he told me. Nothing surprises me. Your article would just substantiate that this could happen.

canesisters

Garden Master
Reaction score
marshallsmyth said:
Finally. Giant mirrors in orbit to give more warmth and longer seasons for northern areas, and giant orbiting shade umbrellas to cool off areas that get too hot.

All aspects of this need to be studied first. I'm sure glad the CIA is doing their part. Actually, the funding for this study seems amazingly small considering its importance. I hope the CIA study is only one of many.

The only other decent solution would be massive human birth control to reduce the human population to around 100 million in around 100 years.

I've been saying this for years.
"like"
:thumbsup

OldGuy43

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I'm not as worried about the tax dollars being spent as I am about the government controlling the weather. Think about it.

A protest "they" don't like? Torrential rains and high winds will take care of that.

The potential is really scary. :barnie

897tgigvib

Garden Master
Reaction score
The theys out there would have a hard time doing pinpoint spot accurate things like oh right now lets make it windy in Dubuque because protesters at city hall there are carrying placards saying for them not to put flouride in the water there.

Heck, doing that would disrupt the whole idea of making sure the corn growing near there has an optimal season to help feed the billions of BILL PAYING consumers who need to have the energy to go work so they can get their paychecks so they can go pay their bills that they owe to the BAZILLIONAIRES.

It is a COMPANY TOWN ECONOMY that we are living under except that this company town is worldwide and it is several companies that own this worldwide town.

Which several companies own the world? I don't know. Maybe I can think of a few.

Anheuser Busch
Monsanto
General Mills
Proctor Gamble
Kraft Food
About 3 or 4 Pharmaceuticals
The King of Saudi Arabia
A few other Sheiks over there
Rupert Murdoch's propaganda empire

Maybe 50 other companies I'm not thinking of, give or take.

After those theys in the world who own the company store of the world, "they" have maybe a couple thousand "minions" who run their businesses.

Now remember, you nor I shall never meet or have for a friend the above "theys". Those "theys" are too busy, doing, ...what is it they do all day long? I don't know. Hire stealth yacht designers? Complain about the do not disturb signs on their doors not being big enough? Who knows but the real theys behind it all might be 150 years old while looking 25.

Ya know, I reread LadyHawke's post again. Lady? Am I to understand that yet again you are saying the USA is doing a bad and wrong thing?

LadyHawke, I never did get a response from you on your last monthly installment that advertises that commondreams outfit. I asked then if you'd be able to do the complaining about the Iranian or North Korean governments if you lived in one of those countries.

You never responded. :(

Yea, the USA government does some things I don't like. Example, convincing people of the importance of forcing insurance on drivers. That one was a big terrible thing. Or howbout when Eisenhower decided to villify Castro, or when the supreme court ruled that Indians ought to be subjugated because they were not christians back in 1829? Yea, that sort of thing continues...Ha! Talking about raising the minimum wage again! That only helps those company store owners have good excuse to raise prices again!

Notice there never is talk of Maximum Salary?
At least not anywhere near Washington DC! Those uh, Company Stores I mentioned? Gading*

They own ALL the politicians. Every one of them. Put a 94,000 maximum salary on those company store owners or on the politicians, and there would be a war.

How could a politician live on 94,000 a year? Poor guy would starve!
How could Rupert Murdoch possibly live on 94,000 a year...oh wait...he's not American. Whew for him. He'd still be upset though! The idea of maximum salary might spread...

Latest posts