Your tax dollars at work

897tgigvib

Garden Master
Reaction score
When they do land on Mars, it will just about be necessary to do hydroponic pressurized gardening. Special glass surfacing to stop x-rays from the sun but allow as much light as possible in.

The most important CROP they will have to GROW will be Oxygen. Ways to efficiently HARVEST the Oxygen have to be developed using as little electricity as possible. What kind of algae or bacteria will be most effective to grow for making oxygen need to be known, as well as the most efficient conditions. Crop failure will not be optional.

Turkish Figs will probably be a bit lower on their priority.

jackb

Garden Master
Reaction score
I am thinking a pressurized recirculating system using LED lighting with the wavelength specific to photosynthesis, power supplied by solar panels. Marshall, it was not a Turkish fig, but a rare Turkish olive grown in only one spot on the planet. I keep thinking that instead of being destroyed the plant is now in a container in that guy's house in Vermont, just south of the Canadian border.

Jack B

897tgigvib

Garden Master
Reaction score
Oops, I forgot. Yep, Turkish Olive.

According to geologists and Paleontologists, a few years before I was born, Like 2 billion years ago, (wallp, a long time ago), when the moon was closer, and the sun was not quite as bright as it is now, continents were moving around faster along with more volcanoes, and the oceans were different chemically then than now, and even the air was about 20% CO2, and Oxygen was only a trace, there were already bacteria and viruses.

Now, the bacteria were the most highly evolved life forms at the time. Some of them munched on other bacteria. Even munching was different then though. One hungry bacteria would chemically work its way inside a bigger bacteria and absorb its cytoplasm. Howbout that? Go inside your victim and drink its liquid.

Other kinds of bacteria became real good at living on practically nothing. They got metabolism down to a fine art.

One bunch of kinds of bacteria way back in those Cambrian days evolved to metabolize light. Talk about smart! Those evolved to be SMART CELLS. Scientists who find and study really old fossils found a lot of exposed Cambrian period formations along the shores of Australia. Well, they looked closely at these things. They look like fossilized pier posts. Looking real close they discovered they are not stalagmites or fossilized pier posts, but where bazillions and bazillions of bacteria lived and died. On top of one layer grew another layer.

Everywhere scientists can find Cambrian anything, they find evidence of these fossilized pier post looking things, usually worn way down to the nubs by time. They, (see? told you there are lots of "theys" out there!), they decided that during the Cambrian, everywhere on the face of the earth that there was water there were these things. Lots of them. Everywhere!

They looked closer at the fossilized cell structure and compared them with the cell structure of living bacterias to decide what kind they were. They were the same kind as CYANOBACTERIA. Now, (poisonous sounding name isn't it?), cyanobacteria are those smart bacteria I was talking about that metabolize light. They eat light!

As a side note to mention, back when I was in academic biology in high school, my really cool biology teacher taught us that cyanobacteria were primitive plants, and that plants evolved from them. Now everyone here prolly knows I spent a lot of time getting sent to the principal's office or sent out to sit in the hall, lol!

I raised my hand and said waitaminute mr. stone. You mean to tell me that one ancient bacteria without a nucleus evolved into animals, and one of these ancient cyanobacteria without a nucleus evolved into plants, SEPARATELY and independently, and both those kinds have nucleuses that are almost identical?

That one raised a huge stir in class!!! Class was in 2 camps suddenly! Did cyanobacteria evolve into blue green algae while the predator munching bacteria evolved into Amoebas???

Oh boy. Starting this near riot got me sent out into the hall!!!

jackb

Garden Master
Reaction score
Marshall, now I must decide which camp I should be in. That may take sometime to figure out.

Jack B

897tgigvib

Garden Master
Reaction score
Have to think about what I'm writing. More in a bit. There really is a point to this.

jackb

Garden Master
Reaction score
Of course you are aware of the latest theory that life on earth was seeded by molybdenum and boron transferred to earth by asteroid impact from Mars. I can't wait for your opinion on that theory.

Jack B

897tgigvib

Garden Master
Reaction score
You see, what all of those cambrian fossilized pier posts made of cyanobacteria were doing, for OVER A BILLION YEARS STRAIGHT, was turning the atmosphere's 20% CO2 into 20% Oxygen, give or take.

That had the effect of cooling things off, and at the same time, the sun grew warmer! Amazing coinkidink! And! Andand and... even after the days of cyanobacteria were over, there were still plenty of cyanobacteria floating around, making mudflats full of them instead of fossilized pier posts.

So we were arguing about that.

=====

YEARS LATER... in 1997 scientists decided that I was right to question cyanobacteria as plants being ancestors of plants! It had gone through all the stages of hypothesis to theory to well questioned and analyzed possible fact, and in 1997 they decided it was fact.

It works like this: ENDOSYMBIOSIS

Amazing stuff they did not teach us older folk back in the day because they did not yet know...

One kind of cyanobacteria also evolved to dig into other bacteria for extra food, probably after nitrogenous and phosphate minerals. Apparently, one of those times it learned not to kill its prey, but instead, MOVED IN! You can bet that at first it was parasitic. But, if you are nice to your host your host may be nice to you. So, apparently one time the cyanobacteria and its host decided to make a good team!

AND NOW IT GETS COMPLICATED!

See, the question comes up, WHY AND HOW COULD THIS HAPPEN? We got the WHEN kind of down to around 1.75 billion years ago, last I heard. That's ALSO when the first CELL NUCLEUS appears. Ohhhhhhhhhhh boy, that was a huge invention! The complicating thing is, NOW AND WHY did the cell nucleus get invented by evolution??? A cell nucleus takes SO MUCH FOOD AND ENERGY TO FEED! There HAS to be a VERY GOOD REASON for a cell to keep one of those things, and only one by the way.

Wellp, right now, 2013, there is still a HYPOTHESIS, that another ENDOSYMBIOTIC EVENT HAPPENED FIRST before the cyanobacteria moved in, or else was it one time that it was SIMULTANEOUS MULTIPLE ENDOSYMBIOSIS?

What is a nucleus? It's where the CHROMOSOMES live. Where did chromosomes suddenly come from????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

See? That's the new question that's still in the hypothesis stage of getting answered.

And, to figure where plants and animals came from, that question needs to be addressed and answered. It has not yet been answered for sure. Not quite. Almost.

Plant and animal chromosomes are a lot alike. Sure enough the dna in them is different, but there are even basic similarities. Same kind of dna, organized the same way. Most of them even divide up and replicate the same ways.

So, looks like SOMETHING ELSE MOVED IN TO A LARGE BACTERIA CELL FIRST, PROBABLY ACTUALLY SIMULTANEOUS...AN AMAZING EARTH HISTORY MOMENT!

That's the hypothesis. What was it that also moved in and made the chromosomes?

A SPIROCHETE. Spirochetes are basically dna with a cell membrane, and are actually shaped like chromosomes. Tey have almost no liquid cytoplasma in them. Very little. Syphillus happens to be one species of spirochete bacteria. They also evolve rapidly.

897tgigvib

Garden Master
Reaction score
Oh, the actual start of life itself on earth is another story, and i'll have to research that new theory and digest it first.

bubbles
tiny bubbles

particles of proto viruses

the first simplest proteins

the endosymbiosis of a protovirus into a bubble with a membrane that has specific permeability to allow in certain minerals and allow out other minerals where proteins could form, an early form of cytoplasm. The endosymbiosis of the protovirus created the first RIBOSOME, called a RIBOZYME.

The Ribozyme then creates better proteins for a better bubble membrane.

Followed by rna evolving to its present form, and then dna evolving to its present form.

Yes, great stuff,

but that'll be talked about later. Right now I'm a good 2 billion years after these things :)

Latest posts