Your Weather 2023

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
We had 1/4 of an inch of rain :).

The WS had the forecast right. As the day progressed, more updates continued. I had discounted the early forecast after looking at the radar map. It wasn't a "major front" and looked to be separating just north of Oregon's Blue Mountains, heading off in a more easterly path while half continued north but lined up with the middle of the Selkirk Rockies at the Canadian border. Missed might be a hundred miles and hundreds of square miles. So often this has happened, lately.

It all helps with the Columbia River, the hydroelectric dams, the reservoirs for irrigation ... where is My precipitation??

Well, some of those rain clouds lined up and came almost directly over us. Enthusiasm for a Quarter of an Inch? It helps. We have been in deficits for weeks ... months. A little more soon should benefit our lower elevation forests. Evergreens cannot be green solely with envy.

Steve :)

Marie2020

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
We have had a few changes here since the weekend. We had hail rain, winds and today it's really pleasant and sunny

20230423_104037.jpg

20230425_104056.jpg

Marie2020

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I tried too add it's 11c into my last post but the edit isn't working 😕

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Yesterday, a record high afternoon temperature of 82° (28°C). This morning, the warmest low temperature in 2023 with 51 (11°C) here at home. Now, it's back to clouds and an afternoon high at room temperature ;). Quite a change and yet more heat is on its way. I wonder about the possibility of thunderstorms with this sudden turn to 80 degree weather.

Months with temperatures below normal until - suddenly - they aren't. We hit the first 70 degree weather and the first 80's in the same week. Another feature of the Spring weeks has been the lack of rain. I suppose that's our contrast with the coastal PNW.

Please, no Wild West drought and wildfires in 2023!

Steve

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
we still have some cool damp weather for a few more days and then gradually increasing temperatures up to the mid-70sF by the end of this weekend. so i may be able to finally get some things planted at last. :)

peas and beans.

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
Temperatures aren't bad, but the wind chills are brutal!!! :hide
I let the ponies out on both north and south pastures, but they aren't high enough. I still have 27 bales of hay left and I intend to feed it ALL.
I decided that THIS YEAR I will rotate them in the Inner Sanctum. I know that they will leave some weeds, but the grass there is pretty lush and they will crop it down like I mowed it, so it's a win-win. Less gas to buy to feed my machines.
Mowing, 05-02-23.jpg

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
rains and some thunder last evening but nothing too major. still good to have as then i don't have to get out the watering cans to make sure the seeds get some more moisture.

if it hadn't been raining this morning i'd have finally gotten the hoses out and hooked up because dragging watering cans around does get a bit much when you have a lot of gardens started up again.

the weather looks to be continuing mixed and perhaps enough rains i won't need to get those hoses out but we'll see. later this week the high 70sF.

no frosty evenings in the forecast.

Zeedman

Garden Master
Reaction score
Pretty sure we're finally done with frost. Temps finally warming up into 60's & 70's, with lows in upper 40's-50's. It looks like we might get a dry spell too, maybe enough for me to do the final till in the home gardens & plant some peas & favas.

heirloomgal

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Warmer temps haven't arrived as quickly this year as they did last. My garden was tilled by May, no chance of that now. Too wet. Looks like we'll have a cooler spring this year, averaging high 60's to low 70's this week, much like your weather @Zeedman. This is one of those years where I'm glad I have a little hothouse, otherwise the starts would stall somewhat. Just a few days in there and my tomatoes have doubled in size, with zero added fertility, even though it's not really that nice out, just sunny. I just wish I had two levels in it, that would be so much better!

Latest posts