Your Weather 2023

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
it's cool out there this morning, but no frost. cool enough i'll let it warm up a bit more before starting the list of chores for the day. unwinding and laying out hoses that are too stiff from being cold is not something for cool weather. sunshine will help soften things up (me included :) ).

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
We have an interesting weather "situation," this morning. The stations are stuck. Stuck at about 10AM yesterday.

I checked 3 locations nearby — same story for current weather. The central one had posted an advisory on thunderstorms and hail this morning. Checked "hourly" graphs and that is cycling through the hours. Weather radar is up to date. Probably things are normal at the airports.

Checked Seattle, Portland, San Francisco, Los Angeles — all had that forecast/current weather page stuck on yesterday about 10AM. Checked 2 stations several hundred miles east. No, they are current. West Coast problem but I don't see anything about it on the news.

Steve

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I thought that I would share this. It really reflects what @Branching Out had to say yesterday (LINK) about her efforts to prepare for very different weather. The US Weather Service calls it "Strange."

In public comments about climate, we often see criticism regarding a 20-year or otherwise short-term analysis. We have to keep in mind that computers helping to understand current weather patterns with a wealth of accumulated data don't go much beyond that 20 year mark.

Much before that might come down to little more than °'s and " of precipitation. Human memory doesn't count for a lot — I'm often surprised to see dates when I was here, showing up in the record books and me trying to remember what I was up to and how the weather influenced that.

I'm not sure how I can prepare for 20% chances of things like thunderstorms which may be rather severe. Right now, I'm thinking that my time may well go into the books again tomorrow when the mark for the warmest minimum temperature is right a what is predicted for a low. Hopefully, there won't be wildfires like what are occurring in Alberta during the coming days.

BTW. Thunderstorms are uncommon as one moves east to west across the continent. I recently saw a chart showing the occurrences. It diminishes tremendously as one approaches the Pacific, with its enormous volume of water helping to maintain a steady temperature.

Steve

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
BTW. Thunderstorms are uncommon as one moves east to west across the continent. I recently saw a chart showing the occurrences. It diminishes tremendously as one approaches the Pacific, with its enormous volume of water helping to maintain a steady temperature.

also the Rockies introduce turbulence into the air flows. you get some amazing storms from that.

chance of patchy frost tonight. hopefully it won't happen...

no significant rains, will have to do some watering this morning. both strawberries and garlic could use it.

Alasgun

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
We are happy to report the demise of this snow pile which was previously over my head! Nights are still in the low 40f’s but were seeing some low 60 numbers during the day.

Attachments

• IMG_0446.jpeg
    IMG_0446.jpeg
    343.6 KB · Views: 38

Zeedman

Garden Master
Reaction score
We seem to be stuck in the 'hovercrud' - off & on drizzle that hasn't really moved from overhead since yesterday. Cool, with non-stop cloudiness (so missed the possible auroras last night). It looks like the last real night chill will be Tuesday night, so should be able to begin potting up & moving the tomatoes into the greenhouse Wednesday.

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
the forecast for last night changed from several days ago being 37-39Fish to patchy frost yesterday and i was a bit worried but not worried enough to go out and cover things, as it turned out i think we just squeaked (nipped is probably a better word) by getting frosted.

tonight is forecast for 10F degrees warmer but now the two following evening lows are forecast for 38F. the peas will be ok, but the beans might die in protest. we'll see...

Latest posts