Your Weather 2023

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
we had some thunderstorms last night but i slept right through almost all of it except one particularly loud crack that was closer to us. Mom said there was an inch and a quarter (3-4cm) in the rain guage. i was trying to look the other day but the marks are gone so i need to put some on there again sometime we get another dry spell.

heirloomgal

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
June 22, 2023 it passed. This puts us into the same state controlled media as China, Iran, North Korea and Vietnam. 'Information' will not be permitted into the country's online media without gov approval, though google et. al. doesn't want to submit yet. Very hard to impose such control in a Western democracy and not have big smoke and mirrors; we already had major civil unrest here in Jan 2022, UN troops were flown in with jackboots. People are flying personal drones into the no go zones (though it's forbidden) and finding helis pouring lit diesel over the tops of trees. Footage was released online. Provinces are demanding an investigation, knowing full well arson is the cause.

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
🙏 🙏 🙏
YOUR PM needs to be perk walked on the plank and fed to the sharks!!
It's the Pirate in me talking...
Weather Service FINALLY called Thursday's storm a derechio, which I knew it was.
I planned badly on Thursday, just grain fed the horses, parked my riding mower and tow wagon in the carraige house, was walking back to the garage to close the south garage door, when the wind pushed my in the garage door and I watched straight line winds and pea sized hail from the garage door. It got very wet and then I watched the storm THROUGH the garage door windows.
I had already filled the shelter manger with hay, so I knew that the horses would be there and ok, which they were.

Carol Dee

Garden Master
Reaction score
🙏 🙏 🙏
Weather Service FINALLY called Thursday's storm a derechio, which I knew it was.
I planned badly on Thursday, just grain fed the horses, parked my riding mower and tow wagon in the carraige house, was walking back to the garage to close the south garage door, when the wind pushed my in the garage door and I watched straight line winds and pea sized hail from the garage door. It got very wet and then I watched the storm THROUGH the garage door windows.
I had already filled the shelter manger with hay, so I knew that the horses would be there and ok, which they were.
We survived the Derecho of August 2020. It took out a century old hackberry tree, we were very lucky it did not fall on any structures. Hope you and all did not suffer any major losses. Photo of our tree as we began taking DSC05863.JPG down what had not fallen.

heirloomgal

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
🙏 🙏 🙏
Agreed! :lol: ....... :hugs

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
90 F with a real feel of 95 right now. This has been a heck of a hot summer so far. I have NO IDEA how anybody can function in oppressive heat like this!

we get out in the morning for a bit and then again in the evening if required. siesta and work on indoor projects the rest of the day. AC is on early in the morning to cool off the house and then we may turn it back on again for a bit in the evening if it is too humid for a few degrees and then wait until morning to take the temperature down again more. it's best to not run the AC when the air outside is hot as it just doesn't accomplish much.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Grass pollen count is HIGH and we are supposed to have some wildfire smoke from the North, this afternoon with air quality decreasing from Good to Moderate.

I "borrowed" the neighbor's outdoor water to wash my hands, early yesterday morning at the distant garden. My immediate impression was, "why does this 55° water feel so warm?"

While waiting to move garden sprinklers, I decided to check the history of the nearby school wunderground thermometer. Could only see current and their forecast on my phone but today, I'm back on the PC and checked. It was 42° yesterday morning! this was 12 hours after an afternoon high of 86°.

I'm not sure where the thermometer is on the building but sunshine may have made a diff to daytime high. It was 82° at an airport not too far away. During hours of darkness ~ as few as they are these days ;) ~ those thermometers may be more trustworthy. So, there we have it for our neck of the woods. Blue sky sunny days, clear starry nights -- we had about a 40° drop ( 22°C drop) in temperature from a daytime high to a low. No wonder that ground water felt warm!

Steve :)
55f = 13C water
42f = 6C low
82f = 28C high

Zeedman

Garden Master
Reaction score
90 F with a real feel of 95 right now. This has been a heck of a hot summer so far. I have NO IDEA how anybody can function in oppressive heat like this!
At home, I can work outside for awhile, then cool down in the basement for awhile. In the rural garden (which is usually a few degrees hotter) I set up a folding "recovery chair" in the shade.

Storms popping up in Northern Wisconsin again, as they did yesterday. Although the storm path seems to be headed our way, I'm not overly optimistic, since it took that path yesterday - and magically broke up just before reaching me. So as a dare, I'm going out to water the rural garden, while giving the clouds the raspberries. :plbb

Yeah, I know... be careful what you wish for. :rolleyes: Right now, a deluge is what the farmers need to save their crops.