Your Weather 2023

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
i hear the pitter-patter of little rain drops that are actually hitting the ground! we really needed this so am happy to be rained out from finishing up what i started this morning.

Zeedman

Garden Master
Reaction score
The storms mostly passed around us again, we only got a couple quick showers - but not the soaking we really need. What we DID get was heavy wild fire smoke on the back side. I was in the rural garden, it got dark, and thought I was watching curtains of rain approaching... nope. Thick clouds of smoke riding the wind. It was like watching an approaching sandstorm.:thWe are under an Air Quality Advisory through Thursday, with periods in the "unhealthy" range. I think we're getting a taste this year of the weeks of wild fire smoke previously experienced by those in the West. My heart goes out to those Up North who actually live near these fires, I can't imagine how terrible those fires are up close.

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
after the rains of yesterday and the previous several days i went out and snapped pictures again to record how much of a change the water was flowing.

we got a whopping 1 & 1/4 inches (or 3.175cm) total the past several days. it is much better than nothing for sure, but we too could use a few more gentle rains.

heirloomgal

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
It is shocking how drastically the weather changed today. It looks like it will only be for today thankfully, but it was 13 C/55F. I wore a turtleneck! We got rain though. The plants really put on a spurt of growth. Just a few days ago we were all melting in the heat in the mid to high 80's F.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
It is shocking how drastically the weather changed today
That sounds like Springtime here. After 3 different times in Spring 2023 having temperatures above 90°f (32°C) our daytime high was below 60f (15C) just a few days ago. The highs will be up there just as hot again -- but, it IS Summer ;).

I'm being a little casual because this is more normal than otherwise for this area. During a recent year (2020), Spring was so bouncy that it really messed up plant growth. Too challenging! During times like that I imagine that we have an "Alpine" climate. It isn't really true but kinda approaches it, some years.

@flowerbug , we will soon be in July. AVERAGE monthly rainfall is right at 3/4 of an inch. That's the SUM of 31 July days - so, we have a 50% chance of less than that. Luckily, the irrigation water comes from an aquifer fed by many square miles of mountains. The valley "soil" must be about half glacial gravel so if any water lingers on the surface, it has a good chance of going hundreds of feet straight down to a prehistoric valley floor.

Steve

heirloomgal

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
3/4 of an inch for the month of July, that doesn't seem like much? I googled mine just to see, and report was 2.5 inches, seldom going over 4 or under 1. I guess @digitS' your climate is rather arid. I thought I read somewhere recently that Idaho grows a huge amount of seeds, a place called Treasure Valley.

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
our normal precipitation is about three inches (10cm) a month - we'll be lucky to see that total for the past three months (with almost all of it coming in the past four days). it's been very nice to have a break from watering. :)

the haze/smoke forecast for today changed so that it will be gone and then sunny the rest of the day. haze returning tomorrow for a while, but i'll be quite happy to have a day without it - time to get back out there and get some weeding done and scraping some plants i'd like to remove so they can fade away faster.