Your Weather 2023

heirloomgal

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
At home, I can work outside for awhile, then cool down in the basement for awhile. In the rural garden (which is usually a few degrees hotter) I set up a folding "recovery chair" in the shade.

Storms popping up in Northern Wisconsin again, as they did yesterday. Although the storm path seems to be headed our way, I'm not overly optimistic, since it took that path yesterday - and magically broke up just before reaching me. So as a dare, I'm going out to water the rural garden, while giving the clouds the raspberries. :plbb

Yeah, I know... be careful what you wish for. :rolleyes: Right now, a deluge is what the farmers need to save their crops.
It always happens that DH & I are anxiously watching a storm pattern heading our way, weather network says 'rain is on the way' and at the last moment..... it passes right by us.

heirloomgal

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
we get out in the morning for a bit and then again in the evening if required. siesta and work on indoor projects the rest of the day. AC is on early in the morning to cool off the house and then we may turn it back on again for a bit in the evening if it is too humid for a few degrees and then wait until morning to take the temperature down again more. it's best to not run the AC when the air outside is hot as it just doesn't accomplish much.
This is what smart folks do! I'm such an outdoor person I just can't stay in, so I go out, melt, and then find a lake or nearby swimming hole. I have to swim every single day to survive this heat, sometimes twice. Even my water-loathing dog is wading into the water for some relief. When we went to the beaver lodge creek yesterday, my kids, who were really leery of swimming next to that thing were so hot they actually jumped in and swam around it. We kept an eye out for an angry beaver. 🤣

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
the old saying was "Knee high by 4th of July!" for the corn. in more recent times it has been shoulder high or even higher. not this year, we just may have gotten to knee high because of the most recent rains, but that is all that did it as before it was barely ankle high.

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
I wish they would just report the weather temps and not the heat index. The actual temps are not as outrageous as the indexes. Got to keep people stirred up and frightened so they can’t think.

Carol Dee

Garden Master
Reaction score
the old saying was "Knee high by 4th of July!" for the corn. in more recent times it has been shoulder high or even higher. not this year, we just may have gotten to knee high because of the most recent rains, but that is all that did it as before it was barely ankle high.
A friend's hubby in his annual "the corn is this tall on July 4th" photo.
358104155_10224725825198381_7641031311995708395_n.jpg

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
the heat index takes humidity into consideration which for some people is very important as they have difficulties breathing and cooling off when it gets both hot and humid. there is a real danger and ignoring that would perhaps put more people at risk. i think it is very useful information and it does give me an idea of how much i will probably be able to be outside - it also reminds me to make sure Mom isn't overdoing it and so i can check on her and ask her if she's been drinking enough water. she has a tougher time of it than i do.

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
we had some nice rains, not severe storms but some tree took the power out someplace in the early evening and so we sat around and told stories until bedtime.

this was an odd outage in that somehow we had a small amount of power available that would run a few things slightly (an LED bathroom light, the fridge), but it would not run the LED light near Mom's chair or mine in my room, but it would blink at times. i have an LED flashlight that Mom used to knit while we were telling stories and then she had it on all night for her bathroom. i am very impressed by how efficient it is as the batteries in it are rechargeable and the last time i charged them was months ago and that flashlight does get a fair amount of use and it did get used quite a lot during me working under the house and also during the plumping blow out.

i'm curious if the residual power was via someone feeding juice back into the system from a generator or battery backup or it was just because of how the wires were taken out by the trees (maybe it only got one of the wires and two wires were good enough to supply some juice? i dunno. i just do know that it was weird as normally when the power goes it that's it and there's nothing on at all). a properly set up home generator or battery backup system should not be feeding back to the grid when the power is out. i'll be interested to see if that small amount of energy was metered or not. i know it wasn't from anything i'm doing here because i turned off my battery backup power for the computer as soon as i could (i can't really do anything anyways online if the radio tower doesn't have enough juice).

Last edited:

Latest posts