Your Weather 2023

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
This is where the cattle ranchers who invested in ANY kind of building are gonna save their herds.
ONLY buffalo and Highland cattle can handle staying outside.
Still, the buffalo rancher 15 minutes south of me keeps them on a property that had coal mining thus a big hill in the middle so that the buffalo can shield themselves from winds, both those from the west and those from the east.

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
Your weather forecast looks like ours, @flowerbug . Except, our rain with snow above 3,000ft may come Sunday.

That's not quite "upper elevations" here and folks deciding to live in more remote areas will have to be dealing with it.

Not long after I first moved here and having thought that I would be okay living at 3,000ft, I ventured into a little valley on a 4th of July weekend. There was only one house built in the valley, in some cleared pastureland. Probably built during the Depression, there was no one living there. Roads came in from the South but I had hiked in through several miles of forest after following an abandoned logging road along the river and venturing up the creek.

We camped on the creek, a mile or so from the old homestead. A pleasant spot but it froze that night!

Already a young gardener, I decided that 3,000ft was nowhere for me to put down roots. A couple of years later, I moved to 2,500 feet and had enuf trouble with warm-weather crops there. (Migrated another 500 feet downhill, later ;).)

gravity does make moving downhill easier. :) elevation here is about 612 feet. i've been up to about 11,000 - 12,000 feet on the Trail Ridge Road in the Rocky Mountain National Partk. it was summer time, we got caught in a bit of a storm/snow storm. i have pictures (not scanned yet) but it was quite a ride. we survived. i haven't really felt like i needed to do that particular experience ever again, but i did go through again another time when the weather was nicer and it was a much better experience.

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
@flowerbug , next time you go to Colorado, go INTO the mountains, exit at Idaho Springs off of I-70 and drive to the top of Mt Evans, 14,271-foot, and take the walking trail up to the very top.
Most often, on a warm summer's day it is freezing at the top. Sometimes you can see 3 states. :D

Last edited:

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I once traveled from the coast to a little above 10,000 feet in Colorado and had a little problem with nausea, which I attributed to altitude.

Then, I stayed in the state for several weeks, staying above 4,000 feet and returning a couple of times to 10,000. I had no more troubles :).

I wanted to see the state before I made a commitment to N Idaho. Pretty place. But, I finally ended up down around Durango. It felt very comfortable to me there and it seemed to be because the natural environment is very much like up here - at a lower elevation but hundreds of miles north.

Mountains - you go a few miles up, a few miles down, a few miles to the northside, a few miles southside, eastside, west ... thing change :).

I've been through New Mexico several times but have wondered if the northern border with Colorado would also be proper environment for the digitS' ;).

heirloomgal

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
a6df54e5754b47d69e16907ca2420856.jpeg

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
5 degrees F is my magic number. Below that and I am hauling water for horses up 5 steps from the basement bc the heated horse is frozen.
Now it is 19, low tomorrow of 15 so we're good.
We Have had -20 during some winters.
Glad This one isn't gonna go that low. It would have done so by now.
I have 2 barn doors that have to be replaced, and the dutch doors on the front of the barn, too.
When I have all doors working correctly I can adjust how much air comes in through the west facing loft door. The loft is a "U" with the loft door at the bottom, opening to the shelter. It can do a nice air exchange to get rid of humidity but creates NO draft.
I often use it as the only open door in the barn.

Latest posts