Your Weather 2023

Branching Out

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I forgot how tiring a heat wave of 33C(92F) can be. Between watering and moving plants around to find shade I am flat-out exhausted by the end of the day. It is sure nice to feel the warmth of the sun though--and I think the peas are growing a couple of inches a day with the warm weather and all of the moisture that I am giving them. By next week we return to more typical May temperatures with night time lows down to 10C(50F).

I suppose the hot sunny weather will be headed your way next DigitS. Try to keep yourself and the plants hydrated! :)

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
Climate is determined by a 125 year cycle, OVER the lifetime of any person.
That is why "climate change", used to scare people that our world is burning up, is such a scam.
"Climate Change" is the new moniker for "Global Warming" which didn't get enough traction.
In the 1970's scientists were predicted Global Cooling.
Dunno HOW all of the new electric cars, trucks and all OTHER electric charged items can get their electricity without using fossil fuels, coal, petroleum and natural gas and propane.
UNTIL somebody smart comes up with a way to store a LOT of energy through a new kind of battery, none of this has a solution today.
Funny, the electric automobile from the 1920's also had 8 batteries, and they all go bad around the same time.
Your electric car is dead in the water.
My car is stuck in the garage right now. This is bc my passenger rear tire keeps losing air.
I have a full sized spare in the trunk and I can fix This problem. Eldest DD is a pro.

Last edited:

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Both yesterday morning and today had the warmest overnight lows for the dates in 140 years.

The Weather Service backed has increased the chance of thunderstorms & rain for tomorrow. Unless something happens tonight, I guess that I'll be back out again with sprinkler cans to water the newly set out transplants. The water service has a problem on their side of the meter. Dang. I hope that they get that fixed soon. There peppers to set out but it does an inadequate job to be carrying house water to give the small plants a little trickle over their roots altho essential for their survival with afternoons temps in the 80's F (30°C). Besides, it turns into a real task after about an hour at those temperatures!

I'm comfortable in the shade these days but there won't be shade in the distant garden without the survival of the sweetcorn or 😓 a squash plant to crawl under.

Steve
ETA: I also see that yesterday, Seattle weather set an afternoon high temperature record.

Last edited:

heirloomgal

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
We've certainly had some very lovely weather for hardening up tomatoes and such, but alas today (24C/75F) shall be the last in a little while. The next 5 days in the mid 50's to low 60's. Good for humans, but not so good for plants. It is only mid May so... patience is a virtue.

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
Dunno HOW all of the new electric cars, trucks and all OTHER electric charged items can get their electricity without using fossil fuels, coal, petroleum and natural gas and propane.

it's happening quite well if you pay attention.

in recent times in some places you can recharge your car on almost complete renewable energy. the mid-west is pretty far behind in that regards but will also improve as time goes on. it is now cheaper than coal, oil or natural gas to use wind and solar plus battery storage. the economics of less moving parts and fewer things to break has already been transforming manufacturing. etc.

UNTIL somebody smart comes up with a way to store a LOT of energy through a new kind of battery, none of this has a solution today.
Funny, the electric automobile from the 1920's also had 8 batteries, and they all go bad around the same time.
Your electric car is dead in the water.

the information is out there for those who look for it.

examples are working for those who are doing it.

as the overall mix of energy generation moves towards lower carbon emissions (it is now because the economics are driving the change) that means that no matter what happens with that energy next it is contributing less and less to the problem of increasing greenhouse gases in the atmosphere.

one way of dealing with a problem is to not dig the hole deeper.

in terms of life and diversity on this planet we're not going to improve things by making it hotter, more violent weather or increasing the population of humans beyond what the planet can reliably sustain. if you kill off your support system that means it can reliably sustain less and less.

Latest posts