Your Weather 2023

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Dramatic turnaround yesterday with Lots of Wind.

Two mornings ago it was 60°f (16°C). Here at home, it is now 45f (7C).

There was no way that I could have done an adequate job watering the big veggie garden yesterday. I didn't finish with the sprinklers here in the yard - much more protected. Less wind today, I can finish at home and ignore anything other than getting the water on in the distant garden a little later in the day.

Steve

Branching Out

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I was pretty much throwing my hands up in the air in defeat with watering last week too, after the heat had persisted for more than a week. And were it not for the burlap shade cloth that we installed it could have been far worse. Fortunately there would have been a fair amount of moisture down deep in the soil as we are still in spring; the plants just needed to put down longer roots to find it, which may be a good thing as the forecast for the next two weeks shows no precipitation either. During the hot spell our neighbor was away so I was watering her plants occasionally, and over the course of the 10 days her two broccoli plants went from having a 2" crown to a full sized 8" head of broccoli that was on the verge of flowering. I am guessing that her jaw was hanging open when she saw them.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
On an earlier date, I might have been hurrying out to turn on greenhouse heat at 5:30AM. It was 51f (11C) and with the sun already shining, the greenhouse will warm up okay. No need to fret ;).

Outdoors, it's 42f (5C). Chilly!

Yesterday was a pleasant 71° (22C) but we had a minor thunderstorm and shower. Led right to this chilly AM.

Steve

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
I planted seeds over the weekend and now we are having nightly downpours. Is it too much to hope they sprouted some roots before the downpours started and that they will hold tight to the soil?

it depends upon what seeds and how deeply they were planted and the other conditions around them.

two days of downpours after planting beans i would hope they'd be ok if there was enough of a break for the gardens to drain a little more. i plant up high enough that they should not be waterlogged.

for smaller seeds more close to the surface they may get moved around or washed out if there are surface flows.

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
it was cool again overnight and this evening is likely to be even cooler (perhaps they'll issue another frost warning).

daytime temperatures yesterday were cold and windy and the sun finally came out later and warmed things up a bit more.

i'll move the plants/starts outside in a few minutes to get some morning sun. the onion starts i've left most of them outside - i don't worry about them nearly as much as i do about the tomatoes and peppers.

86F next Tuesday, 90F next Wednesday's forecast. eek!

Last edited:

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
Well it had been 53* at night for the past week so I direct sowed some of my Petit Gris de Rennes. Three days later they have sprouted! I had about 5 plants that I started under grow lights but that wasn't enough.

It's been 65* during the day and night temps have dropped to 51*. Hope my melons and bush beans do well. I've never planted them this late in the season. My 5 bush beans that survived transplanting were looking pathetic so I direct sowed some more. Usually I don't direct sowed cause critters eat them as soon as they sprout.

Mary

Jane23

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
it depends upon what seeds and how deeply they were planted and the other conditions around them.

two days of downpours after planting beans i would hope they'd be ok if there was enough of a break for the gardens to drain a little more. i plant up high enough that they should not be waterlogged.

for smaller seeds more close to the surface they may get moved around or washed out if there are surface flows.
They were smaller seeds for the most part. I planted my herb garden. The soil is not up to the surface of the raised beds, so I am hoping they only moved around at most.

heirloomgal

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Hopefully tonight will be the last frost for the year. Friday night 43F/6C and upwards from there, levelling off in the mid 50's & 60's. I am really looking forward to no longer carrying plants in and out every night.

Zeedman

Garden Master
Reaction score
Freeze warning & frost advisories North of me for tonight, then the big warm-up. I've kept my plants inside until this passed - but start planting tomorrow. It's been dry, and is expected to stay dry for about another week; and since my target planting date is June 1st, it looks like most of the garden will go in on schedule. The home plots are ready to plant, but I still need to add some amendments to the rural garden, and move one fence line in to the new border. Looks like I'll be crazy busy for the next week (and sleeping the sleep of the weary).

Latest posts