Your Weather, 2024

SPedigrees

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I'm betting that these bitter winds will be wending their way eastward. Right now Spring has sprung, sap is running, and birds are singing. But I know winter is not done with us yet.

I had plans to spend this winter reading, watching movies & recorded shows, and working on sewing projects. Instead I spent it dealing with computer woes. Not a nerd by nature, it was a struggle for me. I learned a lot, but hard to say if the info I gained will be useful down the line, since technology changes faster than the weather.

Branching Out

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
We woke up to 2" of lovely pure white snow blanketing the garden, the heavy kind of snow that coats all of the tree branches and weighs them down. I am half hoping that it sticks around for a few days, because they are forecasting unusually frigid night time lows of -6C(21F) later this week, and my ranunculas are not going to like that. Some snow would go a long way toward insulating the roots, and protecting the top growth. I did a quick search, and it has been over 50 years since we had a similar low recorded during the month of March. On the flip side they are forecasting daytime highs of 18-20C(64-68F) for ten days from now, which is completely bizarre for mid-March. That would be record breaking warmth, and almost tomato weather. 🍅

Attachments

• IMG_20240304_081852574.jpg
    IMG_20240304_081852574.jpg
    269.8 KB · Views: 20

Dahlia

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
We woke up to 2" of lovely pure white snow blanketing the garden, the heavy kind of snow that coats all of the tree branches and weighs them down. I am half hoping that it sticks around for a few days, because they are forecasting unusually frigid night time lows of -6C(21F) later this week, and my ranunculas are not going to like that. Some snow would go a long way toward insulating the roots, and protecting the top growth. I did a quick search, and it has been over 50 years since we had a similar low recorded during the month of March. On the flip side they are forecasting daytime highs of 18-20C(64-68F) for ten days from now, which is completely bizarre for mid-March. That would be record breaking warmth, and almost tomato weather. 🍅
We also have been experiencing record cold temps for March and snow flurries. We have friends who live by Lake Tahoe in CA and they just had a wild snow storm - wind gusts up to 190 at one point! The gusts were mostly around 100 mph! They got 6 feet of snow and had to dig their cars out the next day!

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
under 10C./46F
"...under" I was just becoming comfortable that 10⁰C equals 50⁰f ! Yes 46 is under 50 — I understand :).

Of course, we know 0⁰C = 32⁰f. And, lucky 21⁰C = 70⁰ ... or, close enuf.

Good Gravy. Why can't the US make the change to metric instead of this  colonial Imperial ?

SPedigrees

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
"...under" I was just becoming comfortable that 10⁰C equals 50⁰f ! Yes 46 is under 50 — I understand :).

Of course, we know 0⁰C = 32⁰f. And, lucky 21⁰C = 70⁰ ... or, close enuf.

Good Gravy. Why can't the US make the change to metric instead of this  colonial Imperial ?
They passed legislation to do so in the 1970s, but never allocated funding for the switch so it never got off the ground. Too late now for my old math-challenged brain. Back in the day it could have become second nature

Latest posts