Your Weather

Nyboy

Garden Master
Reaction score
I don't think that's a very accurate representation. Some places are sure to be worse than others, but kind of a broad brushstroke don't you think?
People are people the world around. Some are conscientious and some are not.
Your right that was a unfair statement. Some are very consccientious about littering.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Mary is from acorn country!

Be patient with people. Native Americans wrought serious changes on the landscape. There are questions about the extinction of some species and the role aboriginal people had on those events.

At times, subsistence, simple survival, was and is challenging. However, carelessness is abnormal and maybe we can even say pathological.

Think of this, the US National Park System alone amounts to over 84 million acres. It should feel good to most of us to understand that there is a little quarter acre just for each one of us ... even if it's for only for this moment or the next moment in time.

Steve
if we find those California acorns, and know what to do with them, they can be an important part of a person's diet!

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
I know what to do with them. There were Native American tribes along the West coast for whom acorns was an important staple. Here, they are a staple only for the squirrels, chipmunks, and turkeys. Once the tannin is leached out of the nut, it can be ground and used as a flour or added to foods as a filler.

I've had acorn flour cookies. Delicious, but -- to me -- not worth all the work entailed in getting to flour.

bobm

Garden Master
Reaction score
Mary is from acorn country!

Be patient with people. Native Americans wrought serious changes on the landscape. There are questions about the extinction of some species and the role aboriginal people had on those events.

At times, subsistence, simple survival, was and is challenging. However, carelessness is abnormal and maybe we can even say pathological.

Think of this, the US National Park System alone amounts to over 84 million acres. It should feel good to most of us to understand that there is a little quarter acre just for each one of us ... even if it's for only for this moment or the next moment in time.

Steve
if we find those California acorns, and know what to do with them, they can be an important part of a person's diet!
Back in College, one of my class professors was a female Oglala Suix. If anyone said anything that wasn't in lock step with her lecture, your grade would dramatically fall. She showed home movies of the old indian ways. In one very old black and white film , it was shown a Buffalo hunt where a group of braves drove a herd of Buffalo over a cliff and then the group whent down to butcher the most desirable parts of the carcasses and some hides which they took with them to their tribe and left the rest of the carnage to rot. She said that that was the way that her people hunted the Buffalo. No- one dared to question the wastefullness of this old hunting method. :idunno