Zone 5/6 Quick Growing Evergreen

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
Mid American Gardener's panel (same county/zone as me) said that when there were several decades of warmer weather locals were planting boxwood. But now, with colder average winters, they aren't doing as well, better for zone 6/7. Instead, they suggested planted yews. I have had to remove yews overgrown too close to house/garage. Maybe those would work for you?

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
Hmmm. Boxwoods here do fine in our winters, zone 5, though I could see if the temps were low and there was a lot of wind they could get damaged.
Yews are good, but they are also a deer favorite, and like boxwood, not very fast growing. But at least they will grow from bare wood, so when they get mowed down it's not a permanent defoliation.

Nyboy

Garden Master
Reaction score
Both yews and boxwood are used around here as foundation plantings and do fine. problem is growth rate is very slow. I want sometime that will only take a couple of years.

LocoYokel

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
A friend of the folks has bamboo in her yard. It is an evergreen and grows close to 15 ft. tall. It is slowly spreading but hasn't bolted (6-7 years now) so hoping it's not a runner. I plan on getting some this spring for a corner that I want to block so I can't see the neighbs... thanks for all the tips!
Nyboy, I am voting for the bamboo as a hedge.

Latest posts