Heat On 1st Time

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
Just ordered an electric mattress pad for myself and one for grandson who plans to move in "Not this weekend, but the next one." His new bed is almost finished. I'll have to take photos tomorrow of the progress. Son is taking it to his boss's place to have it stained and varnished -- both to save me the time and work and because I don't think I could reach into some of the smaller spaces. Getting it sprayed will be easier and faster.

Gypsy is spending the night and unpacking a couple of large totes from her house to her bedroom here. I had to shop for a refrigerator for an apartment (second one to go in a month) and I took her out for supper at her fave eating establishment for BBQ ribs. Happy girl.

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
We had a mattress pad for many years. I now have a smaller bed so I needed a smaller electric pad. I loved the old one. It warmed the bed before I got in so I usually just shut it off at that time and stayed warm. Now it seems that I get cold easier so I may turn the pad down rather than off.

I know many things have changed over the years making electric blankets safer, but when my daughter was about 13 we were building this house -- and living in the basement -- her electric blanket started a fire in the couch that could have done the whole family in. Clayton woke up, smelled smoke, and woke me to complain I'd left something on the stove.

The burning couch was giving off poisonous gasses that were worse than smoke from a wood fire and we were lucky to get up the only stairway out. Of course, except for the couch there was little nearby that could have caught on fire -- cement floors and no rugs, curtains, etc. The smoke would have been enough, though.

That's why I prefer an electric mattress pad. There's no danger of it bunching up on the bed and building resistance in the heating elements like the electric blanket stuck between the couch and the cushions did.

We put the fire out and carried the couch outside for a good dousing of water. The fire must have continued to smolder because there was nothing left of the couch on the driveway the next morning.

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
They do seem to be safer. I believe the ones the grands have turn off after half an hour or so. I just prefer the pads so I bordered Maverick one when I got mine.

Beekissed

Garden Master
Reaction score
Down....feels like an electric blanket for warmth but no danger of fire and it's light as a feather on the body. Sort of like sleeping under a warm cloud.

Put a T style rain cap on the stove pipe today, so officially open for business....I expect Mom will light a fire in the stove one morning this next week to "take the chill off" but won't burn a fire all day, just a morning heat up. She gets colder than I do...today she put flannel sheets on her bed, so I know she's gearing up for winter.

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
I do have a down comforter. DH didn't like it. Still they are cold when first getting into bed, too. Nope! I love my heated bed. Hedonistic perhaps but one of my few vices is wanting a warm bed to crawl into on a cold night.

Beekissed

Garden Master
Reaction score
I'm a cold sleeper, so having flannel, fleece or a heated pad under me would just be torture in the winter time. I love the coolness of cotton sheets on pillow and sheet, but don't mind a warm covering because I can shuck that when I get too hot.

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
Right! I've always turned off the mattress pad when I went to bed. It's just that small bit of warmth at bedtime that, for me, makes the difference between wanting to get into bed and dreading it.

Bee, by morning I've shucked off most of my covers as well. Not sure that will continue as I age, but for now I have far fewer blankets on my bed than the young grands do.

Oh, and I gave in to my feelings for the grands and turned the heat on last night. It was 63 degrees in the house when I set the heat on. It was supposed to drop into the 40s with a high today of only 62 or so.

Latest posts