how much privacy do you need?

Beekissed

Garden Master
Reaction score
That's miserable...and why I like to live where there are no near neighbors. I don't really want to see them or hear them, nor they us. It just seems like there is a lot more drama in the average home than there ever used to be and I like to avoid drama when I can.

Carol Dee

Garden Master
Reaction score
That's miserable...and why I like to live where there are no near neighbors. I don't really want to see them or hear them, nor they us. It just seems like there is a lot more drama in the average home than there ever used to be and I like to avoid drama when I can.
AMEN

Smiles Jr.

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Wow! Lots of posts in this thread.
We have lived in apartments with almost no privacy. We have lived in subdivisions with almost no privacy. Now we live in the boonies with absolutely no neighbors and it's wonderful. Our next door neighbor to the right is about 1/2 mile away and to the left about 1 mile. Our house sits back from the little, seldom used, road and cannot be seen when the foliage is on the trees or the corn is tall. Pure Utopia!!! We could run around here in the nude (never have, never will) all day and nobody would know.
Bottom line . . . there could never be too much privacy for us.

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
That reminds me of a senior couple that I ranch sat for occasionally, in the days before dh and I had kids.
Betty was reputed to be a naked gardener, ( she did concede to wearing a big floppy hat) and thank God I was never a witness to that activity. :sick But she was quite the character in every other way too.
Speaking of barns, they had a big red one, and an ancient Ford pickup with a starter button that I used to haul the cattle hay out to the pasture in... fond memories. There were sure a lot of hilarious stories neighbors told about Roy and Betty, but I guess I'm rambling. :oops:

Oh yeah privacy...they had that for sure. But Betty's garden was out in front near the road, which wasn't busy, and yet plenty of people had first hand experience with her gardening style. :lol:

Beekissed

Garden Master
Reaction score
Ick. :eek: Now THAT'S inflicting things on your neighbors right there. Unless they were hateful neighbors and deserved to be sickened, I'd find that quite distasteful to have to drive past. :sick

Beekissed

Garden Master
Reaction score
Yes! In areas best left covered, especially. And all those scratchy plants brushing up against delicate parts...and the unsupported weight of things sagging, sagging, sagging as you bend to work, getting caught on things...OUCH.

Someone would just be a glutton for punishment or maybe they don't garden like I do...actual work being done there. :confused:

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
Why the disgust at Betty's naked body? I certainly wouldn't bother me as long as she wore her birthday suit at home. Even driving past, my eyes would be drawn more to the beauty of the garden than to the gardener in a big sun hat. Now coming to call would be another story. I'd probably give her a warning and then (maybe; maybe not) report her the second time she stopped by that way.

School used to have a neighbor who had the practice of urinating out his back door every day. I wouldn't know. I never thought it necessary to stay for the show. Some teachers actually dropped the teachers' lunch room at the same time every day just to watch, complain, and express their daily disgust. I found their behavior far more disgusting.

Beekissed

Garden Master
Reaction score
I'm a nurse, so bodies don't bother me at all...but there's a level of modesty that I appreciate when a person is out in public view. Unless a person doesn't possess clothing, it's just not necessary to expose nakedness to someone who may be tempted by it or those who would rather their children not gaze upon a naked adult.

It's one thing to expect privacy in your home when you have no near neighbors and there's only one road into your home, so you can feel assured you can go past a window naked without exposing oneself to any other person...it's quite another thing to parade around naked for no apparent reason in full view of a public road in the broad light of day.

No matter how beautiful the woman, it's unnecessary and part of that worldly drama that I eschew...it's clearly meant to cause a stir among others and not a bit about her own pleasure in being naked in a garden. As was pointed out, bugs, abrasions, dirt, etc. is a likely result of gardening, all of which can cause pain and discomfort to a naked body, so why in the world do it? Drama, pure and simple.

bobm

Garden Master
Reaction score
How about this ... Portland, Ore. has an annual event where quite a few ( as in many) naked folks ride their bikes on a public road route patrolled by the local Police Dept. and advertized on TV by the network news people of the comming spectakle then reported on daily news during and after the event. :hu