How much snow did you get?

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
Minus 40 Dew? You’re not exaggerating just a bit are you? :hide We only made it to minus 2 here. I’ve seen it colder.

That reminds me of another one of my awful stories though. When I was in the New Orleans area, I was in a horseshoe pitching league. We pitched in a local city’s playground but had to pay for everything ourselves and maintain the pitching pits.

We got the city’s permission to put in a small storage building and could even put in running water as long as we covered all expenses. When we were running the water line I suggested bringing it up out of the ground inside the building, not outside. It had a dirt floor so no problems. Oh no, outside is how we always do it here. We’re bringing it up outside.

Most winters it does not get cold enough long enough to cause any problems, but occasionally it does. It had a couple of years before and caused all kinds of broken water lines and low water pressure. Some main water lines were running over canals with no insulation. Several of these froze and broke. I’d had to go to a friend’s house to get water out of his swimming pool to flush the toilets, water pressure was that bad it wouldn’t even fill a tank. And of course my fairly new in-laws were visiting. It was an adventure.

You’ve probably guessed it. The next winter we had another of those cold snaps we never have down there. I assure you I was not one of the people out there repairing that water line.

In case someone caught it, running water doesn’t easily freeze. The water in those main transmission lines going over the canals was not what froze and burst. They had Tee’s coming off with a blind flange so they could tap into those lines if they wanted to. It was the still water in these Tee’s that froze and burst the lines.

bobm

Garden Master
Reaction score
Here in SW Washington, a sub - tropical storm from Hawaii arrived last night. This morning the temperature is 50 * and expecting a high of 52* . Gentle rain started at 5 : 30 am. , heavy rain later today ... between 2" - 4" depending what cloud one is under.:caf

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
We got another 3" last night, it's mushy stuff though and the temps should be warm enough to mush it down some more.
We're expected to get snow every night through the weekend, but the Weatherman, aka digitS, can do a better job reporting on that. :cool:

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
We've got ½" of slush and that will melt soon along with what fell a couple days ago and, I wouldn't be surprised if what fell a month ago also disappears!

Will you get the wind, Bob?

There may be gusts above 50mph somewhere nearby, tomorrow! If it cools no more than to 37°f overnight - that will be a new record. A huge amount of wind was recorded yesterday afternoon ~ aloft (156mph)!

Get ready Montana and all along 49° North latitude! This storm will be carrying everyone of us right into the North Atlantic! (Labrador had better have the retrievers out.)

Steve
Ha! (and while I'm typing) ~ Thistle' ~

897tgigvib

Garden Master
Reaction score
Not enough. Not 1 twentieth enough snow here. Lake is going down.

NwMtGardener

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Yup, high wind watch here. Saturday sounds the worst, rain and wind gusts up to 55 mph. I don't think I"m going to be cross country skiing tomorrow...

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
. . . If it cools no more than to 37°f overnight - that will be a new record. . .

Already 40°f and the temperature has risen since midnight, 2°. I think this will be the warmest overnight low in nearly 125 years for the date.

100% chance of rain and all that -- I think it might be Marshall's "twentieth" of an inch, so far. There should be more, how could there be less? Anyway, the storm on the coast looks like an angry Great Horned Owl coming in with talons reaching for Yakima!

Wind gusts above 25mph isn't half of what the WS said may be coming. I think the trees may be "welded" in place. My lot is on a slope and what's going on may be why there seems to be movement down hill. No, the wind isn't blowing the soil - wrong direction. There are standing puddles and, at least, some of the soil is saturated but it must only go down to where it is frozen. Pudding puddles - the terriPoodle has to have her feet cleaned before re-entering the house! She takes this as a huge imposition!

Steve

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
Rain on snow! We have minor lakes growing around the house, and the puddles next to the house have nowhere to drain off to. I'd much rather have the precipitation in white this time of year. :(

bobm

Garden Master
Reaction score
Here in SW Washington, a sub - tropical storm from Hawaii arrived last night. This morning the temperature is 50 * and expecting a high of 52* . Gentle rain started at 5 : 30 am. , heavy rain later today ... between 2" - 4" depending what cloud one is under.:caf
According to the weather station just 1 mile from our house ... this storm produced a whopping 0.04 " of rain. While the Cascade Mts. got from 10" - 26" depending on what cloud they were under. Yesterday, Ch 2 in Portland , Ore. was putting out a weather warning of heavy rain for last night. This morning, Ch 2 is again reporting a heavy rain warning for today. :idunno

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Current Conditions NOAA (link)

You may find some of those local stations here, Bob. This map for current conditions works for all of the US - even includes most of N. America! I appreciate that it covers Canada. I mean really!? The people may be friendly but weather invades!

I no longer remember why it starts in southern California but you can zoom out and away, quickly enough. (It also has the little Google Streetview guy. Yeah, I just drove into Brasilia from the north side of town . . . :))

Steve
edited: I should have said that after clicking your location, you need to scroll down to look at the report. This map used to have a little pop-up but the more complete info is now below the map. Wind gusts here above 45mph now!

Last edited:

Latest posts