Phaedra's Adventure

Phaedra

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Friday for the veggie and fruit bags! When we arrived Lidl about 0720 in the morning, there were 10 bags, and each of them looks nice. I again picked three of them.
16072.jpg

The amount of fruits and veggies is quite balanced. 9 Euros for about 10kg food.
16071.jpg

After some simple cleaning-ups, they are as charming as new ones.
16069.jpg

As usual, I soaked the cherry radish leaves in the water, and they perked up in about 10 minutes.
16070.jpg

16076.jpg

Hens are happy, too, they get their shares.
16075.jpg

Look at these cherry radishes, aren't they adorable?
16065.jpg

Then, we went to another discounter for a few special offers. I brought back three 50% discounted plants.
16074.jpg

The mini Azaleas are totally healthy - they just terribly dehydrated. I soaked them immediately inside a deep tray with water and a few drops of tomato fertilizer.

16073.jpg

Till the evening, they already looked better, so I brought them inside the unheated room to avoid low temperature shock from staying in the greenhouse. They absolutely need a few more days to adapt.

16079.jpg

There is no chance to become a super hero and save a lot of lives. However, every now and then, I can rescue some food and plants, good enough!

Last edited:

Alasgun

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
“There is no chance to become a super hero and save a lot of lives. However, every now and then, I can rescue some food and plants, good enough!”

And in doing so you might be surprised at how that impacts people around you so you may be doing more saving than you’d imagine?

SPedigrees

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
No, you don't roll it out with a rolling pin, you roll it up after you formed it.
Just a thought bc I have found that temperature can make a difference in handling.
So just laying the cake between the two layers of waxed paper, rolling it up, then unrolling it later, replacing the top layer of waxed paper with the filling, and re-rolling the cake with filling inside? Yeah that could work.

Last edited:

SPedigrees

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Friday for the veggie and fruit bags! When we arrived Lidl about 0720 in the morning, there were 10 bags, and each of them looks nice. I again picked three of them.
View attachment 63669

The amount of fruits and veggies is quite balanced. 9 Euros for about 10kg food.
View attachment 63670

After some simple cleaning-ups, they are as charming as new ones.
View attachment 63671

As usual, I soaked the cherry radish leaves in the water, and they perked up in about 10 minutes.
View attachment 63673
View attachment 63679
Hens are happy, too, they get their shares.
View attachment 63672

Look at these cherry radishes, aren't they adorable?
View attachment 63674

Then, we went to another discounter for a few special offers. I brought back three 50% discounted plants.
View attachment 63675

The mini Azaleas are totally healthy - they just terribly dehydrated. I soaked them immediately inside a deep tray with water and a few drops of tomato fertilizer.

View attachment 63676

Till the evening, they already looked better, so I brought them inside the unheated room to avoid low temperature shock from staying in the greenhouse. They absolutely need a few more days to adapt.

View attachment 63677

There is no chance to become a super hero and save a lot of lives. However, every now and then, I can rescue some food and plants, good enough!
Your chickens eat better than I do. I thought it was some sort of delicious stir fry before I read the caption!

Those azaleas are beautiful, and that is a marvelous bounty of fresh vegetables and fruits. It would have been such a waste for these items to be thrown away.

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
i think it would be a problem to roll and unroll and reroll again later. but i've never done it myself. me, i would leave it flat and covered by a slightly moist clean lint-free towel until i could get it spread with the filling and then rolled - but i'm intererested in what those with actual experience would do. :) my sister makes pumpkin rolls, i think she uses towels too, but i've never seen her do them.

Phaedra

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Everything has a price, same as owning and maintaining a greenhouse. I had no idea why the first house owner decided to have such a semi-open, glass-roofed outdoor space (We hired the same company to seal it as a winter garden and divided it into two compartments.) The old glass roof is the most difficult one to clean, and we are still considering how to proceed it.

Anyway, we can still do what we can do now. After a whole year, especially a pretty wet year (and winter), it is screaming to be cleaned. I also ordered a dehumidifier to manage the humidity level better in the future.

I removed the shelves on this side and started cleaning both the glasses and metal frame. Pretty terrified - a lot of dead insect bodies as spiders also became residents.

16109.jpg

16108.jpg

I finished 95% glass cleaning yesterday and today, and DH helped me cleaning the upper metal frames. Now it looks much better from all sides.

The side facing the lotus ponds - we also started re-doing the flowerbeds and removed the roses to somewhere else. The goal is to make a new area for two loungers to enjoy the view of the ponds.
16066_0.jpg

The side facing west - also my main working space for sowing, plant-caring, and some DIY projects.
16106.jpg

Working, working, working~
16107.jpg

Much much better and brighter after cleaning from both sides
16119.jpg

Can't wait to enjoy the cherry blossom from the greenhouse, too.
16104.jpg

Let's call it a day, and the azaleas look much happier this morning.
16113.jpg

The taros (in fact, they are eddoes, not real taros) sprouted from the compost are growing well indoors, too. I will say they are also nice-looking indoor plants and should be able to produce fresh roots to eat this year.
16117.jpg

Phaedra

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
i think it would be a problem to roll and unroll and reroll again later. but i've never done it myself. me, i would leave it flat and covered by a slightly moist clean lint-free towel until i could get it spread with the filling and then rolled - but i'm intererested in what those with actual experience would do. :) my sister makes pumpkin rolls, i think she uses towels too, but i've never seen her do them.
Yes, it's unnecessary to roll and unroll and reroll again. If the parchment paper is big enough (I will suggest buying a roll instead of pre-cut sheets.), it's easy to grab two sides and use the parchment paper to roll the cake directly.

16125.jpg

I just rolled a (pumpkin spice) chiffon cake roll with apple compote and Crème fraîche. After it's rolled, just let it stay in the parchment paper and sit in the fridge for one hour to set.

16122.jpg

After one hour, the cake roll is ready to serve. It can stay as it is in the fridge for two days at least, but it never can survive for that long usually.
16124.jpg

The apple compote was made in advance, and I love to add a bit brandy to finish it. The ingredients are simple, too - diced apples, sugar, lemon juice, a bit butter, and a bit of corn starch.
16048_0.jpg

16047_0.jpg

I also prefer using Crème fraîche instead of whipped cream, much less work, but more flavor.

Let me present the apple cinnamon chiffon cake roll, a very natural (no additive, all ordinary and common ingredients) and rich (in flavor) homemade treat.
16123.jpg

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
Dunno, just suggesting bc most baked goods are made with butter and butter behaves Better when it is chilled.