Thanksgiving!

valley ranch

Garden Master
Reaction score
Sierra Nevada mountains, and Nevada high desert
Everyone used to come to our place during the Holydays, when I was a wee one, and every weekend there would be a couple four families, some were family, I found out as I grew older all the ladies I called auntie weren't actually. Just before reading this thread I was thinking of cousin Harold, uncle Mike's son, when they came, Harold use to bring a pigeon to turn loose that would be back at their place before they got home.
I don't have his phone # here. He and I are the last ones who remember those days. Everybody, young and old alike would go outside half of us on ether side of the big house, someone with a good arm would throw the tennis ball over the house then we'd change sides hoping not to be tagged and be out of the game~"Anni, Anni Qver" they would call as the ball was thrown~that was the name of the game. Ever play it? First time I've though about it. Anni, Anni Over~

This year Thanksgiving there will be the four of us. I'll have to look, don't know if we have a bird in the freezer. Have a great one you guys!

Carol Dee

Garden Master
Reaction score
Everyone used to come to our place during the Holydays, when I was a wee one, and every weekend there would be a couple four families, some were family, I found out as I grew older all the ladies I called auntie weren't actually. Just before reading this thread I was thinking of cousin Harold, uncle Mike's son, when they came, Harold use to bring a pigeon to turn loose that would be back at their place before they got home.
I don't have his phone # here. He and I are the last ones who remember those days. Everybody, young and old alike would go outside half of us on ether side of the big house, someone with a good arm would throw the tennis ball over the house then we'd change sides hoping not to be tagged and be out of the game~"Anni, Anni Qver" they would call as the ball was thrown~that was the name of the game. Ever play it? First time I've though about it. Anni, Anni Over~

This year Thanksgiving there will be the four of us. I'll have to look, don't know if we have a bird in the freezer. Have a great one you guys!
Sure did! back then I could actually throw! We would use the neighbors garage. More a barn than a garage. I do not think I could get it over now. :( Did you play Sardines? Swing high and jump off! Wax the slide? Hide and go seek? Good times. :)

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
Lucky is every thing ok with you? :hugs
Yeah, I guess things are OK. Thanks for asking, @Nyboy. I have never loved holidays; it seems people who are prone to depression have an even harder time trying to force cheerfulness, to live up to the hype we are fed by TV ads. I am a reluctant hostess in the best of circumstances, at least for the last 20 years or so.

Anyway, to avoid being a total hermit, I did decide to fix a pot roast, and invite my son (the one who still celebrates holidays). So I won't be alone. And the kids are quite entertaining.

Beekissed

Garden Master
Reaction score
I'm thankful we already did our Thanksgiving meal! :D The boys all had to work on that day, so we did it a week early on a day when they could all be there. Did two 10 lb turkeys, spatchcocked them both but did one breast down and the other breast up. The food was good, we played cards into the night, generally overate and such but I did manage to get my coop jacked up and elevated somewhat and a few other chores I had wanted to do and my little Aliza helped me all the while....nothing but peace like a river when I can work in the sunshine with that little smarty pants schweety. :love

What am I thankful for? Everything that God has given me and that pretty much covers everything in my life. If I had eternity could most likely not cover it all, so "everything" pretty much covers it. :love How He has ordered my life is supremely satisfactory to me and I'm most contented and joyful about it. :celebrate

I'm VERY thankful the election is over and will be even more so when all this holiday nonsense is done too. :rolleyes: Drama, drama, drama...

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Happy Thanksgiving!

I'm thankful - for lots of things! Achieving olde age, what is the choice? I honestly feel that I'm blessed just to be in the present tense. But, let's remember that we belong, and belong to each other :).

I greatly appreciate the future tense and seeing some of the generations who will be in command of it. I appreciate those who came before and the foundation they created for us, now.

I didn't get clued in on Thanksgiving Day decisions until yesterday afternoon. That's with regards to the food. I'm still unclear who will be joining us in the enjoyment of the meal. Younger people are so involved in their work. Since my DD's in-laws are "younger people" still, and have only their DS nearby, that includes them. He works for the USPS and they make deliveries today! There is something wrong with that picture ...

DW is such a traditionalist. She is also someone who focuses on getting things done, while taking the attitude of, "it happens when it happens." It's really a very practical approach and I've learned from her. Interacting with others, we cannot know even who will be on the team, until it happens. Meanwhile, I'm trying to get the ducks in a row ... as they magically change into ... cats!

Her traditions are my family's traditions. How could I object that DW is so strongly committed to them? Foodwise, we have grandma's rolls, with the dough already rising in the fridge. Soon, that will be joined by "grandma's dump salad" and "grandma's green bean casserole."

"Grandma's apple pie" was made last night along with "my" pumpkin pie and DW's lemon meringue ... Fortunately for me, the piemaker of all, DW makes the crusts.

Okay, if Christmas dinner has exactly the same menu with just the beef roast substituting for the turkey I'm gonna just scream! I'd even be okay with having turkey for Christmas, completely non-traditional, if we could just vary everything else. I mean, even the candied yams!

Thankfully, DD is in charge of the turkey ... which I will take over to her home, shortly ... DD tried out a glazed turkey recipe recently. She claims that it turned out "perfect." I told her therefore do not vary the glaze recipe a tablespoon, I'm so anxious to have something different! She once made a pie for a Christmas dinner. At least, she claimed she did. We never saw it. She also claimed she forgot to bring it out. But a turkey glaze with maple syrup, chili powder, horseradish, and mustard sounds good! Don't you think?!

A difference is that I won't be making stuffing for the unstuffed bird ..! It's okay by me. I've often used the extra stuffing in a loaf pan. It would give me a chance to tweak my technique and hope I get it right ... enuf. DW panicked! We now have a box of stovetop dressing!!! I can remember using one of those once in the last quarter-century! What in Heavens can be done to make it a little more special/better? I have a can of chicken meat ... looking for a recipe ...

! Steve

Carol Dee

Garden Master
Reaction score
Happy Thanksgiving!

I'm thankful - for lots of things! Achieving olde age, what is the choice? I honestly feel that I'm blessed just to be in the present tense. But, let's remember that we belong, and belong to each other :).

I greatly appreciate the future tense and seeing some of the generations who will be in command of it. I appreciate those who came before and the foundation they created for us, now.

I didn't get clued in on Thanksgiving Day decisions until yesterday afternoon. That's with regards to the food. I'm still unclear who will be joining us in the enjoyment of the meal. Younger people are so involved in their work. Since my DD's in-laws are "younger people" still, and have only their DS nearby, that includes them. He works for the USPS and they make deliveries today! There is something wrong with that picture ...

DW is such a traditionalist. She is also someone who focuses on getting things done, while taking the attitude of, "it happens when it happens." It's really a very practical approach and I've learned from her. Interacting with others, we cannot know even who will be on the team, until it happens. Meanwhile, I'm trying to get the ducks in a row ... as they magically change into ... cats!

Her traditions are my family's traditions. How could I object that DW is so strongly committed to them? Foodwise, we have grandma's rolls, with the dough already rising in the fridge. Soon, that will be joined by "grandma's dump salad" and "grandma's green bean casserole."

"Grandma's apple pie" was made last night along with "my" pumpkin pie and DW's lemon meringue ... Fortunately for me, the piemaker of all, DW makes the crusts.

Okay, if Christmas dinner has exactly the same menu with just the beef roast substituting for the turkey I'm gonna just scream! I'd even be okay with having turkey for Christmas, completely non-traditional, if we could just vary everything else. I mean, even the candied yams!

Thankfully, DD is in charge of the turkey ... which I will take over to her home, shortly ... DD tried out a glazed turkey recipe recently. She claims that it turned out "perfect." I told her therefore do not vary the glaze recipe a tablespoon, I'm so anxious to have something different! She once made a pie for a Christmas dinner. At least, she claimed she did. We never saw it. She also claimed she forgot to bring it out. But a turkey glaze with maple syrup, chili powder, horseradish, and mustard sounds good! Don't you think?!

A difference is that I won't be making stuffing for the unstuffed bird ..! It's okay by me. I've often used the extra stuffing in a loaf pan. It would give me a chance to tweak my technique and hope I get it right ... enuf. DW panicked! We now have a box of stovetop dressing!!! I can remember using one of those once in the last quarter-century! What in Heavens can be done to make it a little more special/better? I have a can of chicken meat ... looking for a recipe ...

! Steve
Happy Thanksgiving Steve.

Beekissed

Garden Master
Reaction score
I'll be spending today alone, no turkey, no dressing...sniff!.... :( :hit

....and not a bit sad about that! :D

:weee :woot :celebrate :clap

Will likely get the stock canned up and get some work done around here if I'm feeling froggy. If not, I may just relax by the fire all day with a good book, enjoying the stillness and peace of this rainy day....all the while feeling extremely thankful for it all. :love

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
I have a few minutes for a breather, which I am taking with a Styrofoam cup of eggnog. I cooked all day yesterday, popped the ham in the oven this morning and will only have to heat up the dishes I prepared yesterday. @Latestarter called yesterday, sick and not wanting to bring his illness to the party to share with everyone. We will sure miss him. Our son came in yesterday, having just finished up a job, he is a crane operator and goes where the job takes him. So it is a pleasant surprise for him to be here. He and DH hooked up the flatbed trailer to DS's truck and arranged hay bales on it. DH will be the "chase" truck with emergency flashers on to keep road speeding idiots from running into the back of the trailer. While I was in the kitchen this morning, they taped down the paper Thanksgiving tablecloths on the tables, arranged the chairs and made it look nice. Drinks got iced down yesterday. In about 30 minutes it will get busy around here, think I'll get another eggnog.....

Happy Thanksgiving to everybody!