unrelenting cold and snow, Northeast

Chickie'sMomaInNH

Garden Master
Reaction score
nice prickly pear cactus there @flowerweaver. i worry about mine hiding under the snow. last year when i got it as a gift i kept it inside the house. last summer i put it outside in it's pot on my porch but my dh moved it to the garden during his cleanup on the driveway in preparation for the coming fall/winter. (for those wondering, yes prickly pear cactus can live in our area if they are established.)

flowerweaver

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Thanks @Chickie'sMomaInNH they seem almost indestructible, although I lost some to drought in 2010. I know a gardener in MA that has one in the ground. Hopefully yours will survive this epic snow!

Lavender2

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Thanks for the bright flowers and sunshine, @flowerweaver ! I was daydreaming in your lounge chair this AM with my coffee... then I heard the snowplow go down the road, drats! Cute pup in a tub! I lost my big tree that shaded my hardening off racks a couple years ago too, dang I miss that thing. It perfectly filtered the hot midday sun, now I have to move the racks or find something to shade them.

We got just a couple of inches of snow in different spurts yesterday, the plows have been down the road 3 times since noon yesterday. I think we have some real bored snow plow guys!

flowerweaver

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
@Lavender2 I'm glad I could give you a few moments of sunshine! It's already 72 degrees at 11 am, so it's going to be a hot winter day! BTW that tub is the communal water dish LOL! We actually have a kiddie pool for them to romp in, but this one prefers his own private splash.

@Nyboy that sucks. I can't imagine such an expense, but I guess it is similar to ours in the summer when in unusual drought we had to truck water in. I guess there's no place these days one can escape climate change.

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
Going to be real bad this weekend...not more snow, but 18 below at night. Good grief! Hard to believe spring will ever be here.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I believe @lesa 's hometown won't see a Sunday afternoon high above zero.

:confused:

I looked at that image in the First Post of this thread. The weather service has evidently changed that url just to show Probabily of Precipitation %. Looks like Lesa will also get some snow showers at subzero.

Winter Champion Lesa :hugs.

Steve

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
nice prickly pear cactus there @flowerweaver. i worry about mine hiding under the snow. last year when i got it as a gift i kept it inside the house. last summer i put it outside in it's pot on my porch but my dh moved it to the garden during his cleanup on the driveway in preparation for the coming fall/winter. (for those wondering, yes prickly pear cactus can live in our area if they are established.)

In my area, prickly pear grow wild in certain arid locations. I'm thinking of some of those bald karst "mountain" tops. I have had them in my yard in the distant past, but don't really like them. I guess I've spent too much time trying to get those tiny prickles out of my hands. :eek:

Latest posts