unrelenting cold and snow, Northeast

flowerweaver

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
@so lucky I live in the land of "mas plantas espinosas". There are worse things than prickly pear cactus like the seed pods of Ratany which look like medieval weaponry that can make it through a shoe, green brier which can cut you through jeans, and mesquite thorns which have a compound that will keep a wound from healing (a 'remember me?' plant strategy). One either wears chaps or develops a tough hide down here because nearly everything scratches, bites, pokes, and impales!

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
Thanks for the sympathy, guys! They said an inch of accumulation for today- and we've had 6 already. Scream!!!! My daughter (who obviously is a lot smarter than her mother) moved to Florida, last month. She was complaining it was cooling off into the 50's this weekend! Told her I did not feel sorry for her!

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
@lesa , visiting will be easier ...

I hope this link opens to the map: Opuntia If'n it doesn't, you can can find it on that USDA database.

Yeah, I thought this might be the same plant that grew near my uncle's property, just above the Snake River, and, yes, just a couple miles from the ID/Wa! border ;).

Wow, if your cactus survives and goes feral, @Chickie'sMomaInNH , you will have to notify the USDA that the New England invasion is ongoing!

Steve

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
Prickly pear can grow here in upstate. I have seen a guy growing it almost as ground cover, under a huge, old tree. I was very surprised. Not the neighborhood I expect to see cacti!

majorcatfish

Garden Master
Reaction score
last weekend here in the mid atlantic area we had 70* this up coming weekend they are calling for 14* at night with winds 13-18 with gusts to 32
so with the windchill thats -8* ..guess thats going to cancel our annual midnight birthday suit horseshoe tournament ...:gig
stay warm everyone....

Last edited:

buckabucka

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Ummm......., blizzard watch?????!! :eek:
They had said this storm was going out to sea, -a near miss, but I guess they changed their minds. Forecast calls for -19 Friday night. We're in a cold pocket here, so I hope for the chickens' sake it isn't too much lower than that. And then the blizzard arrives Saturday evening.
At least I live where there is open space. Boston will be waving a white flag, but we won't be able to see it in all the snow!

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
Ok, I've tried not to complain about the weather this winter (because that's all I did last year, ha), but I was NOT happy to see the 10-day forecast today. A long string of freezing cold temps for over a week with no snow to be had at all. Ava is going to go nutz if she doesn't get to go sledding at least once this winter. We were supposed to get 2-4" today, but barely got a dusting. I am starting to get a little stir crazy too.

Latest posts