Waited too long!

flowerweaver

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Oh, I hope the chicks arrived safely!

Here are some photos of one of my coops when it was still under construction about five years ago. It was built with 80% recycled materials and took us weekends over two years because I wanted curving walls (!) It's a very nice space. Also, it was the first thing we ever built LOL. I designed it to be passive solar, and it stays almost as cool as our air-conditioned house.

upload_2015-3-31_20-22-49.jpeg

upload_2015-3-31_20-24-14.jpeg

upload_2015-3-31_20-24-38.jpeg

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
I just think that there are bad apples in every breed. Obviously not everyone will have the same bad experience with one breed.
My favorite one to despise is Black Copper Marans. I bought 4 from a breeder and every one had an abbreviated life span. Someone else has probably had great success with them.

But I liked my RIs and my Black Australorp has survived many cullings because of her sweet personality.
My experience with Black copper Marans sounds like yours. That rooster was the devil incarnate, and the girls....one got eaten by a dog, one died mysteriously, and the other one was sold with the roo. But I sure loved the look of those eggs!

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
Nice! @flowerweaver How many chickens does it hold? It looks so spacious. I bet you get all kinds of eggs year round with the extra sunlight they receive.

I've been interested in the Black Copper Marans for a dual purpose flock since they are supposed to be pretty meaty. I've heard it before that they were not very gentle though. Now that I use an electric netting to contain my chickens, I think I could live with a testy roo either way.

ETA: Oh, and sad news to report--one of Ava's chicks died this evening. :( We had just returned from her nana's house, having helped bury her dog that died today when she found it. Ava took it pretty hard because of that.

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
I've gone with MMH for 6 years now and this is the first time I've had any trouble. I think the USPS is probably at fault though, probably lost them. They were mailed 2-day Priority Mail and insured for $100. They've always called me first thing Monday morning to pick them up before. I am afraid if they do show up tomorrow, it will be another sad occasion. The kids are always so excited to hold the "peeping package" on the way home. :(

flowerweaver

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
@journey11 the coop has one communal mixed flock area, and several breeding apartments. At one time I had about 15 breeds going, but mostly I breed various Polands and Ameraucanas now. I think I've had up to 40 adult chickens at one time in there. Because it's so hot down here good ventilation is a must (high ceilings, vented clearstory), and for those few nights in winter that it gets cold they have heat lamps. We also partially cover the front with poly in the winter to cut down on drafts. It's easy for me to work inside, and the chickens have plenty of room. We collect rainwater off its roof and it goes into a gravity fed drinker system.

I can empathize with Ava, those losses would be hard on me, too!

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
My experience with Black copper Marans sounds like yours. That rooster was the devil incarnate, and the girls....one got eaten by a dog, one died mysteriously, and the other one was sold with the roo. But I sure loved the look of those eggs!

Mine died early because I culled them. I have a Golden Cuckoo Maran that lays chocolate eggs, and she's okay. Not friendly, but not mean either.

@flowerweaver , that's a really nice coop. I like it's airiness.

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
They finally made it here this morning. Only 9 out of 26 survived. It was very sad opening that box and I made the kids wait upstairs until I sorted through them. :( Ava helped me and we dropper-fed the survivors with sugar water over the course of an hour. Some of them are very lively, some of the others not so much. I hope they'll pull through. Gotta call MMH here in a bit and report my losses. It was the USPS's fault mostly, as according to the tracking number info they experienced a delay. Never had this happen before. Very sad start to the day. :(

Latest posts