Waited too long!

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
Just got off the phone with MMH. Their customer service is good, at least. I have to call back tomorrow to report the total that have died at the end of 48 hours. Had 27, lost 18 right off the bat, 7 of the remaining 9 are looking lively and are eating and drinking. 2 we are still dropper-feeding sugar water and are on their feet, but I don't expect they will live unless they soon decide to eat. I told Ava to be prepared just in case we lose more.

Poor little things. I think I will try Meyer next time since they are closer by in Ohio. I think the cut-backs in the postal service have probably had a pretty harsh effect on the mail-order chick business. The closer to home I can obtain them, the better. I don't want to go through this again. I'll try BYC and keep an eye out for local breeders also. I may need to get a few more to have enough in the new flock.

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
I am happy to report that the 9 survivors are still with us! The two weakest chicks have finally started eating the sugar water/feed slurry on their own. Ava and I fed them sugar water from a syringe about every hour or two all through the day and they have gradually gotten stronger. They couldn't even stand up when we first got them, and now they are running around and eating! It is such an awesome feeling to see that with a little TLC they are doing better. Ava is such a good helper! I couldn't have kept up with them all without her. She was very careful and so patient to give them tiny drops and wait a few seconds in between for them to swallow. I am so proud of her! :love

I learned back when I rehabbed that baby squirrel years ago that getting them hydrated is of the utmost importance, more important than feeding. I am going to get up once tonight to check on them and make sure they're drinking enough. If they make it through the night, they should be well on their way. :)

Chickie'sMomaInNH

Garden Master
Reaction score
did they have a heat pack in their box? i'm just surprised they would ship them with the cold weather still affecting a lot of areas.

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
did they have a heat pack in their box? i'm just surprised they would ship them with the cold weather still affecting a lot of areas.

No, just the usual fiber padding in the bottom and two extra chicks "for warmth". It was pretty chilly here Saturday night into Sunday, but I'm not sure what the weather was for Iowa. The USPS was delayed by two extra days getting them here. I think it was the hunger and thirst that did them in. Very sad way to go. With the USPS downsizing, I think it may be too risky, so I think I will go with the nearest hatchery or breeder I can find next time. They always came on Mondays in the past.

Latest posts