What Color is Your Front Door ?

Nyboy

Garden Master
Reaction score
@catjac1975 when I was on a house tour in Charleston,the tour guide said you paint porch ceiling sky blue so bees don't nest there. The bees are fooled into thinking its sky, don't know if I believe it, but a lot of porch ceilings are sky blue. Are bees color blind?

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
My door are white. My window trim is white. I am a boring designer. Fortunately, my gardens are far more colorful.

Now that the inside is more colorful, I just might go wild with the outside as well. Of course, the multi-colored brick keeps white from being too plain.

First, however, I need (no, really I NEED) a new front door. DS says he'll make one for us this summer. The one I have has rotten brick molding that I patched up with wood putty and the sill is toast.

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
@catjac1975 when I was on a house tour in Charleston,the tour guide said you paint porch ceiling sky blue so bees don't nest there. The bees are fooled into thinking its sky, don't know if I believe it, but a lot of porch ceilings are sky blue. Are bees color blind?
My house is over 100 years old. When we painted the ceiling the first time it was white and I found the blue color when sanding. So I have kept it white since because of the charm of it. I figured it was an old tradition. I have noticed other porch ceilings in town are also blue. So either they copied me, Haha, or is was a known tradition of the past. That sounds like a silly old tale about the bees. But what do I know?

Jeni Ann

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Love the colors Bee!
I see no sense in painting a door mostly cover by a banged up storm door. So I haven't.:p
At our last house (my dream home & I miss it sometimes) We had a full length screen/glass storm so I painted the front door a moss green to go with the warm tan (almost peach;)) house.

Carol Dee

Garden Master
Reaction score
I LOVED that HOUSE Sis, too bad you could not have picked it up and moved it to the country with you!

Latest posts