1st harvest of 2016...

Beekissed

Garden Master
Reaction score
Bee try carrots steamed with a little melted butter :drool You will like them more!

I've never really liked cooked carrots...don't like the texture or the taste, but that could be due to never having eaten them out of an actual, real garden. If I can grow some this year I'll definitely try them cooked to see if I like the flavor and texture any better.

I do love them raw, however, and will probably love them all the more for having been grown in a true garden and not mass produced on chemical fertilizer. Can't wait to try them! Especially after they've wintered in the garden awhile..supposed to make them much, much sweeter.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
DW likes loong carrots and complains about peeling short ones. I'm happy that, at least, she likes them.

Look, short carrots are quick and in my gravel, if they are given to growing deep, in time - they will inevitably hit that rock ... like after about 1½ inches!

Box frames are possible with 1" old cedar fence boards. I've had them last over 8 years. Everybody just throws them away but they aren't totally free since you gotta cut and drive in all that rebar to have the boards hold the soil.

Steve

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
Wow Smart Red, I didn't know you had that many raised beds! I would be happy with just 2. What all do you grow in them?

Mary

Reaction score
Hey, i'd love to know when you planted all these. I'm in NC as well, and didn't realize we could be harvesting this early! I'd love that!!!

majorcatfish

Garden Master
Reaction score
well after a week of above normal temperatures and 2" of rain, today was the first day have gotten home during daylight hours...
since they are calling for temperatures in the mid 20's tonight decided to cover everyone back up... well the bok chio took upon them self's to go to seed.
looks like something with bok chio in it for dinner this weekend....

bok 2.JPG

which really works out great since i need to rebuild that bed....

Jared77

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I'm on the co,irked carrots bandwagon this year too.

Red, orange, yellow, white, purple, and black. Yes you read that right black.

http://www.rareseeds.com/pusa-asita-black-carrot/

Baker Creek advertised them how could I say no? :D I swear they see me coming and are like "Oh here comes Jared lets advertise something in a weird color....he'll buy it! He can't say no!" Yep they got me good.

And this is a little different spin on cooked carrots. http://allrecipes.com/recipe/232363/chef-johns-bourbon-glazed-carrots/

Went over VERY well at my parent's surprise 40th anniversary dinner we threw for them last year. We used colored carrots from the farmers market which helped give added visual appeal and some fun to the dish. Those carrots were the first side dish that was empty.

Latest posts