1st harvest of 2016...

Gardening with Rabbits

Garden Master
Reaction score
Love those pretty carrots! Your lettuce is nice too, but if you've seen one you've seen them all if you know what I mean... But, of course it looks fantastic compared to the lettuce that I have not been growing.

I want pretty carrots like yours this year. You taunted me into a competitive feeling, even if it's only with past carrots in my garden. :eek:

I feel the same and now I want colored carrots too! I want everything now. :eek:

Beekissed

Garden Master
Reaction score
You have no idea! We normally can't even grow carrots here at all, due to our hard clay soil, but I'm giving them a try again this year to see if this BTE method will increase our chances for actually growing a carrot.

Gardening with Rabbits

Garden Master
Reaction score
I am!!! :frow I'm also planning for a four season harvest this year so I can harvest lovely greens and carrots all winter long like Major does.

For now I have added the reds and purple carrots to my regular orange, but have not added any yellows.

I am going to try to get the fall things planted in time.

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
You have no idea! We normally can't even grow carrots here at all, due to our hard clay soil, but I'm giving them a try again this year to see if this BTE method will increase our chances for actually growing a carrot.
Bee, way back in the 70s there was The Victory Garden show on PBS. When he planted carrots, he would make a V shaped trench about 6 inches deep and plant his carrots in the V. He did this because he had rocky ground but it should make a difference for heavy clay as well.

Beekissed

Garden Master
Reaction score
Bee, way back in the 70s there was The Victory Garden show on PBS. When he planted carrots, he would make a V shaped trench about 6 inches deep and plant his carrots in the V. He did this because he had rocky ground but it should make a difference for heavy clay as well.

No one likes carrots enough here to go to special methods to grow them. Not being a staple crop for us, we just never went through the motions for them. If they grow this year, that's great and I'd like to eat them~raw, not cooked~but if they don't grow well then we'll try again another year when the mulch has composted a little deeper.

Latest posts