2011 TEG Giant Pumpkin Contest - JOIN US BY AUGUST 1ST!!

NwMtGardener

Garden Addicted
Joined
May 30, 2011
Messages
1,839
Reaction score
867
Points
227
Location
Whitefish, MT
Boy this is some viscious, cut-throat competition ya'll have going on... Giving everyone updates and tips... Haha, just teasing!! :p i've got no pumpkins but i've been avidly watching everyone's pumpkin updates. Maybe all us bystanders should make some wagers... "i'll place a pack of blanketflower seeds on stepstephens2's for the win...." :lol: kidding, good luck everyone!!
 

stepstephens2

Chillin' In The Garden
Joined
Apr 4, 2011
Messages
96
Reaction score
0
Points
34
NwMtGardener said:
Boy this is some viscious, cut-throat competition ya'll have going on... Giving everyone updates and tips... Haha, just teasing!! :p i've got no pumpkins but i've been avidly watching everyone's pumpkin updates. Maybe all us bystanders should make some wagers... "i'll place a pack of blanketflower seeds on stepstephens2's for the win...." :lol: kidding, good luck everyone!!
:yuckyuck

It is called "theeasygardener" afterall... ;) I probably would have been too intimidated to ever join if the site was called "professionalhorticulturalistswhotakethemselvesextremelyseriously!" :p I also love how most of us have pumpkins with chicken battle scars... One of mine finally got a couple little beak holes made in it, so I can be in that club too. I think the person who is going to win is going to probably going to end up being someone who has remained quiet and is waiting for October to announce they have a 400 lbs. monster they've been silently growing all along. From what I've read, the biggest pumpkin growers are tight-lipped by nature- so I don't know if I would wager on my winning, I like to share my thoughts way too much... But it's all so exciting! :ya
 

SuperChemicalGirl

Attractive To Bees
Joined
Jun 16, 2010
Messages
324
Reaction score
0
Points
74
Location
Vacationland, Maine
stepstephens2 said:
It is called "theeasygardener" afterall... ;) I probably would have been too intimidated to ever join if the site was called "professionalhorticulturalistswhotakethemselvesextremelyseriously!" :p I also love how most of us have pumpkins with chicken battle scars... One of mine finally got a couple little beak holes made in it, so I can be in that club too. I think the person who is going to win is going to probably going to end up being someone who has remained quiet and is waiting for October to announce they have a 400 lbs. monster they've been silently growing all along. From what I've read, the biggest pumpkin growers are tight-lipped by nature- so I don't know if I would wager on my winning, I like to share my thoughts way too much... But it's all so exciting! :ya
I think maybe we should have a secondary winner for the pumpkin with the most beak scars that survives!



And for all that's right in the world, don't place your unofficial bets on me. It's already in the low 50s at night here... not excellent growing weather.
 

vfem

Garden Addicted
Joined
Aug 10, 2008
Messages
7,516
Reaction score
12
Points
242
Location
Fuquay, NC
You guys are all doing pretty well! I'm very impressed. Especially after they've all been under attack from the crazy chickens!!! :lol:

Still no pumpkins here, the whether has been unkind this year. :rolleyes:

But I got some pretty good size watermelons this year!!! We need to have a contest for those next summer! :p
 

SuperChemicalGirl

Attractive To Bees
Joined
Jun 16, 2010
Messages
324
Reaction score
0
Points
74
Location
Vacationland, Maine
vfem said:
You guys are all doing pretty well! I'm very impressed. Especially after they've all been under attack from the crazy chickens!!! :lol:

Still no pumpkins here, the whether has been unkind this year. :rolleyes:

But I got some pretty good size watermelons this year!!! We need to have a contest for those next summer! :p
Totally agree! I saw this: http://www.burpee.com/fruit-plants/melon-seeds/watermelon/watermelon-carolina-cross-183-prod000554.html?catId=3044&trail= and had to talk myself down from it... I have one that's the size of a football sans the tapered ends and that's as well as I've ever done in this climate.
 

stepstephens2

Chillin' In The Garden
Joined
Apr 4, 2011
Messages
96
Reaction score
0
Points
34
Scg- My chicken scars aren't nearly as impressive... but I agree that it should be the qualifications for 2nd place. If Cats Critters and Gardens keeps that first pumpkin going you guys could have a serious race on your hands! It takes talent to nurse these things through damage, especially when sometimes they up and die for no reason at all. They are Survivor Pumpkins! :weight



Here's a picture of my biggest pumpkin... I quit measuring it because I didn't want to risk breaking off what few leaves it has left. :(

 

Cats Critters and Garden

Deeply Rooted
Joined
Jun 8, 2010
Messages
246
Reaction score
9
Points
100
Location
Western PA
SuperChemicalGirl said:
stepstephens2 said:
It is called "theeasygardener" afterall... ;) I probably would have been too intimidated to ever join if the site was called "professionalhorticulturalistswhotakethemselvesextremelyseriously!" :p I also love how most of us have pumpkins with chicken battle scars... One of mine finally got a couple little beak holes made in it, so I can be in that club too. I think the person who is going to win is going to probably going to end up being someone who has remained quiet and is waiting for October to announce they have a 400 lbs. monster they've been silently growing all along. From what I've read, the biggest pumpkin growers are tight-lipped by nature- so I don't know if I would wager on my winning, I like to share my thoughts way too much... But it's all so exciting! :ya
I think maybe we should have a secondary winner for the pumpkin with the most beak scars that survives!

http://www.theeasygarden.com/forum/uploads/6992_287927_209414139113155_100001337108712_537240_5393909_o.jpg

And for all that's right in the world, don't place your unofficial bets on me. It's already in the low 50s at night here... not excellent growing weather.
If mine survives I think I'm the winner of the chicken scar category :p
 

SuperChemicalGirl

Attractive To Bees
Joined
Jun 16, 2010
Messages
324
Reaction score
0
Points
74
Location
Vacationland, Maine
bearmanz400 said:
I plan on winning the longest vine with the biggest flowers and no sight of a pumpkin
Yes! What is with that? I have little pumpkins that continue to fall off on the majority of my vines... I have probably 14 or 15 vines and only 4 pumpkins.

Same thing is happening to my tomato and squash plants, too... the flowers just dry up and fall off the plant.
 
Top