2011 TEG Giant Pumpkin Contest - JOIN US BY AUGUST 1ST!!

ShortCircuitRanch2332

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
SuperChemicalGirl said:
ShortCircuitRanch2332 said:
I honestly have no clue what causes it but it's only that mutated one haha I don't know if it will drop off or not but I think it might be because it's of the giant pumpkin variety that it happens to cuz the regular one have never done it
Not sure that it's a breed thing cause I have the same problem with one of my hubbard squashes!! Seems like I remember pulling the flower off as it dried, but that fleshy part didn't come with it like it usually does. I've had a lot of dampness here so I've been removing the flowers when able.

Most of my plants still haven't even set fruit, I still only have 4 pumpkins on the vines (strange cause I have canteloupe and baby watermelons setting fruit). The one though is growing great, it's probably a little bigger than a basketball size now. Of course the vine split nice and early in the season, you can see it in the picture.
http://www.theeasygarden.com/forum/...143259588_100001337108712_512283_269057_o.jpg
Hmm well I have no clue then haha this is the first time it has happened to me lol
Also it looks like in your pic u have bite marks to lol

SuperChemicalGirl

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
Neko-Chan said:
I'd join, except for a few reasons:

I have no room: to devote space solely to growing a giant pumpkin would be shooting myself in the foot for other things.

October is mid spring for us. This is probably the actual time I'd be sowing/planting the pumpkin, rather than harvesting. (Love these flopped seasons.)

My pumpkins will be small varieties grown vertically against fences and stuff. :p

However, I will watch everyone's progress. :)
You're also welcome to post some pictures when you get your garden up and running, even if the contest is over - I'd like to see your setup. And I love pumpkins!

SuperChemicalGirl

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
SuperChemicalGirl said:
I honestly have no clue what causes it but it's only that mutated one haha I don't know if it will drop off or not but I think it might be because it's of the giant pumpkin variety that it happens to cuz the regular one have never done it
Not sure that it's a breed thing cause I have the same problem with one of my hubbard squashes!! Seems like I remember pulling the flower off as it dried, but that fleshy part didn't come with it like it usually does. I've had a lot of dampness here so I've been removing the flowers when able.

Most of my plants still haven't even set fruit, I still only have 4 pumpkins on the vines (strange cause I have canteloupe and baby watermelons setting fruit). The one though is growing great, it's probably a little bigger than a basketball size now. Of course the vine split nice and early in the season, you can see it in the picture.
http://www.theeasygarden.com/forum/...143259588_100001337108712_512283_269057_o.jpg
Hmm well I have no clue then haha this is the first time it has happened to me lol
Also it looks like in your pic u have bite marks to lol
Yeah my chickens are bad and sneak into the garden when I'm not looking. Hoppy marks all the pumpkins as hers.

stepstephens2

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Update- My Pumpkin is now 34" around by 17 1/2" from stem to belly button (my pumpkin has one too!- I found that same little thing everyone else has been talking about hidden on the underside of it.) It has been growing at a rate of an inch or two around for the past five days. On the down side, I have had to douse the plant in neem because it got hit by powdery mildew and aphids at the same time. It lost 3 leaves and sustained some other minor damage... but the vine is 18' long so I think it'll be ok as long as I keep up with the neem.

8005_34x17_half.jpg

Cats Critters and Garden

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I have one pumpkin from my voleenters that is growing outside the fence and is doing very well (half hidden in the weeds), another from the voleenters inside the fence was doing well but a chicken got in the other day and pecked two big holes in it :( . I'll try to get pictures soon.

Cats Critters and Garden

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Here are my pumpkins so far (there might be some more small ones), all as far as I know are off the volunteers:
Garden+8-15-11+015.jpg

Garden+8-15-11+019.jpg

Garden+8-15-11+020.jpg

Garden+8-15-11+022.jpg

and this is the pretty that is growing outside of the fence in the weeds, but we aren't telling the chickens that:
Garden+8-15-11+023.jpg

SuperChemicalGirl

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
They look great... and I see your point about the big gaping holes. I had one of my pumpkins die yesterday, it had just stopped growing for about a week then rotted. Wonder what that's about? My "big" pumpkin though is still there, about the size of a small beachball now, and pretty much stopped growing, too. It's turning orange now.

stepstephens2

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
SCG- Try covering the pumpkin up. I've read some articles that say most of the big pumpkin growers provide a shade or covering for their pumpkins because once the skin hardens from the sun it will quit growing. I have tented mine with a chicken feed bag and have noticed that it has kept the new growth marks from hardening and allowed for some elasticity for more growth.

I have been having a different problem- I thought I had the spider mites under control but they came back with a vengeance and took out 90% of the leaves. :( It's still growing, but at a really slow rate now.