2011 TEG Giant Pumpkin Contest - JOIN US BY AUGUST 1ST!!

SuperChemicalGirl

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
Welcome to the two new joiners! I've added your names to the first post. Anyone else want to join?? You've got a few hours left!

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I still don't even have the pumpkins in, unfortunately its just too late for me to make room and have any luck with them at all.

But I sure hope we do this again next year!!! :D

bearmanz400

Leafing Out
Reaction score
I have started a pumpkin that is right now a little cute 2 leaf seedling...and I think that I have one plant that I started a month ago - I will post pics to the identify thread...that will teach me to forget to mark what I plant. then again this is my first time ever growing veggies

I will say this...gardening is quite addictive I cannot wait until next season when I can start on time

I honestly don't think I will yield any crops, but will give me the experience for next season I suppose

MyKidLuvsGreenEgz

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Gardening IS addictive, especially when you can harvest your very first home-grown whatever. Even tho I have a brown thumb, I keep trying.

bearmanz400

Leafing Out
Reaction score
I promised my friends kids I would get them both a pumpkin - I may be buying one from Publix at this point

ShortCircuitRanch2332

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
SuperChemicalGirl said:
ShortCircuitRanch2332 said:
heres the 22 incher (that was 2 days ago so its bigger now)
http://www.theeasygarden.com/forum/uploads/8316_photo.jpg
heres the 21 incher
http://www.theeasygarden.com/forum/uploads/8316_photo2.jpg
I used an ant trap as a comparison (all I had in the garden at the time haha)
You have the umbilical thing too at the end! What is that caused by??!! I thought it would drop off but it didn't.
I honestly have no clue what causes it but it's only that mutated one haha I don't know if it will drop off or not but I think it might be because it's of the giant pumpkin variety that it happens to cuz the regular one have never done it

Also to make an update the pumpkin in my second pic has far surpassed the first one so it's now in lead for my biggest haha it's like the great pumpkin race OR pumpkin NASCAR! :)

SuperChemicalGirl

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
ShortCircuitRanch2332 said:
I honestly have no clue what causes it but it's only that mutated one haha I don't know if it will drop off or not but I think it might be because it's of the giant pumpkin variety that it happens to cuz the regular one have never done it
Not sure that it's a breed thing cause I have the same problem with one of my hubbard squashes!! Seems like I remember pulling the flower off as it dried, but that fleshy part didn't come with it like it usually does. I've had a lot of dampness here so I've been removing the flowers when able.

Most of my plants still haven't even set fruit, I still only have 4 pumpkins on the vines (strange cause I have canteloupe and baby watermelons setting fruit). The one though is growing great, it's probably a little bigger than a basketball size now. Of course the vine split nice and early in the season, you can see it in the picture.
6992_271352_201283143259588_100001337108712_512283_269057_o.jpg

Neko-Chan

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
I'd join, except for a few reasons:

I have no room: to devote space solely to growing a giant pumpkin would be shooting myself in the foot for other things.

October is mid spring for us. This is probably the actual time I'd be sowing/planting the pumpkin, rather than harvesting. (Love these flopped seasons.)

My pumpkins will be small varieties grown vertically against fences and stuff. :p

However, I will watch everyone's progress. :)