2011 TEG Giant Pumpkin Contest - JOIN US BY AUGUST 1ST!!

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
Don't count yourself out yet Super', we all know anything can happen in a garden! You seem to have taken a lot of hits this year, but there's still a few months of summer yet!
I am watching this contest on the sidelines with much interest, I think it's such a fun idea. :)

Mis3836

Sprout
Reaction score
Sorry I haven'g been in more. So far have two AG pumpkins growing pretty well. Can't get pics yet as the battery charger for my digital camera died. Getting a new one this week.

I'm sorry I forgot but when is the end of this contest. Did I see August somewhere? That would be a problem for me as my season is quite long and I want to let them grow on the vine as long as possible. I know here July and August are the Big months for growth spurts.

If this means I would have to detach a pumpkin early to weigh then I may have to back off this contest as I really would like to see how big I can get them.

As soon as I get the cam up and working I will get you pics though.

BTW pumpkins are named Big Charlie and Ms. Julia (friends of mine)

Joanie

Cats Critters and Garden

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
My one baby pumpkin (I put a picture of it on here a week or so ago) shriveled up and dropped off the vine. Hopeful some others make an appearance :fl

ShortCircuitRanch2332

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
my pumpkin did that to it seems like the fruits closest to the vine shrivel up but the ones farthest do better mine went from 6 5/8's to 7 1/2 inches in 2 days so im praying it stays alive

Merelyatheory

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
I don't know what kind mine is. The seed came from a fairly large pumpkin I bought from a local farm and carved for Halloween last year. When I opened it up there were six sprouted pumpkins growing inside. I didn't save any seeds then but found one after a few snows and put it up. I was going to dry it and dip it in clear acrylic and maybe make a pedant out of it. I decided to start some tomatoes and then I re-stumbled across the seed and thought "why not?".
8394_garden_002.jpg

8394_garden_012.jpg

these were taken about a week ago.

SuperChemicalGirl

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
Welcome Theory! Glad you can join us too, even if your seed is a mystery.

My pumpkin plants are really starting to take off, but I only have the rouge vif d'etampes that has a pumpkin on it.

We did manage to kill the groundhog last week that ate one of my vines in the front yard... and it looks like the plant might be trying to shoot a vine out from another area. And I have painters here who managed to step on a couple of pumpkin vines and break them. Grr.

BUT...

for those that suggested I fertilize my corn... thanks!

6992_imag2273.jpg

SuperChemicalGirl

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
Mis3836 said:
Sorry I haven'g been in more. So far have two AG pumpkins growing pretty well. Can't get pics yet as the battery charger for my digital camera died. Getting a new one this week.

I'm sorry I forgot but when is the end of this contest. Did I see August somewhere? That would be a problem for me as my season is quite long and I want to let them grow on the vine as long as possible. I know here July and August are the Big months for growth spurts.

If this means I would have to detach a pumpkin early to weigh then I may have to back off this contest as I really would like to see how big I can get them.

As soon as I get the cam up and working I will get you pics though.

BTW pumpkins are named Big Charlie and Ms. Julia (friends of mine)

Joanie
The rules of the contest are updated in post 1, but it ends 15 October. That's when everyones pictures/weights/measurements are due in. Sorry I missed your post earlier...