2011 TEG Giant Pumpkin Contest - JOIN US BY AUGUST 1ST!!

gardentoad

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
Well I am out of the race, my plants have gone no where.but there is always next year..and I will be using better soil, right now my power post hole digger can't ever break the top soil

Don :watering :watering :watering and it's not doing any good at all

SuperChemicalGirl

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
Don't worry about it... like I said, I've got one baseball sized (not even softball) rouge vif d' etampes. Just keep pluggin' along with the rest of us!

Maybe someone will do well and share their secrets (it's probably moving to a more suitable climate!)

stepstephens2

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Here's an update on the my pumpkins. First off, my pumpkin patch is trying to take over everything.

8005_crazy_pumpkin_vines.jpg

So, I've been trying to go through the patch and figure out what pumpkins are growing on which vines. From there I weeded out the slower growing ones off the vines. If they were big enough and getting some color they went on my front porch to continue getting color. If they were smaller I gave them to my dog who thinks that they are her dog toys.

8005_taken_out_of_the_race.jpg

8005_ruby_w_pumpkins.jpg

These are my 2 main contenders right now:

8005_pumpkin_3.jpg

8005_pumpkin_1.jpg

Then there is this guy... I found him today. He looks different from the others and he's closer up to the top of his vine. I also found a normal looking smaller pumpkin on the vine with him, so I know there's something going on with him specifically. He's shaped like he WANTS to be a giant pumpkin, I think. He's my favorite because he's a mutant underdog.

8005_surprise_contender.jpg

And then I have these coming round the bend... I still have to decide who's going to be kept and who has to go.

8005_extra_pumpkins.jpg

So, basically, I've got a lot of pumpkins... but they're growing so slowly that I don't know if I'm going to get any giants. I have been fertilizing here and there... but I've also trampled a lot of vines trying to make sense of the giant heaping pumpkin vine mass. :rolleyes:

wifezilla

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
My vines are going nuts, but so far I only have male flowers. Not a single pumpkin. I still think I can win biggest pumpkin leaf though. Some are about 3' across.

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
Wife, I always wanted to use one of those giant leaves as a mold for a stepping stone, or birdbath....One of these days!

SuperChemicalGirl

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
wifezilla said:
My vines are going nuts, but so far I only have male flowers. Not a single pumpkin. I still think I can win biggest pumpkin leaf though. Some are about 3' across.
I'd like to see pictures of these leaves!

Jared77

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I know Im in the contest this year, but I think this might be my last year growing a "big" pumpkin. I've been watering this thing daily. If not it droops and looks awful. My other carving pumpkins are handling the heat fine. But that big boy? Oh no its very touchy. I know I'll enjoy the big pumpkin I get :fl hopefully :fl but its quickly falling into the chore category and I can tell you right now I don't need another chore. I don't know I might change my mind when the time comes next season but right now I'm not exactly thrilled with it.