2015 journal of the gardens

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
Mine crossed with cantelope. Green flesh with cantelope flavor---yuck..... Gave them all away but the one I tried. From now on, no cantelope.

majorcatfish

Garden Master
Reaction score
9/5/15
rained enough last night to make it sticky, according the nws it's 79* and 75% humidity i believe it.....
dug up the last of the russets, picked a bucket of beans<and that's only 1 side of them> and 4 krakatoa melons.
DSC_0007.JPG

planted another half bed of spinach. and a smaller bed of carrots <white, yellow, purple and normal>
DSC_0009.JPG

winter squash is flowering... just got to keep the cucumber beetles off them....
DSC_0008.JPG

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
Ha! Krakatoa....for a minute I thought that was the variety name...

Your gardens look good, those watermelons are looking real fine.
Our weather has taken a temperature nosedive so I'm kind of over the watermelon cravings. I imagine you are still pretty warm over there though.

Can you really grow a winter squash this late and have it mature before winter Major?

majorcatfish

Garden Master
Reaction score
Ha! Krakatoa....for a minute I thought that was the variety name...

Your gardens look good, those watermelons are looking real fine.
Our weather has taken a temperature nosedive so I'm kind of over the watermelon cravings. I imagine you are still pretty warm over there though.

Can you really grow a winter squash this late and have it mature before winter Major?

this is my first try at growing them the package says 85 dtm, have 30+ days into them and if the weather is with us<no early frost> should be ready around thanksgiving time...:fl even if i have to cover them with plastic....

majorcatfish

Garden Master
Reaction score
9/7/15
today has been one of those days, the weather forecast has been way off... for what they call partly sunny has been mostly cloudy with drizzle. now don't get me wrong it has been a lovely day to be out in the gardens, no sweet rolling down the back. sunglasses not pooling with sweet....

something that has been perplexing all season is what 3 of my beds have not been producing like they have last year, not matter how much water i give them so started to root around and found the problem. the gumball tree <that i was supposed to drop this spring> has been sending tap roots into the beds and zapping all the water and fertilizer from them.... thats just a portion of what i removed... yes the tree will be removed this fall.. without fail.
DSC_0005.JPG

so since i dug up 3 of the beds figured it was time to do a little organisation, a bit shocky but give them a day and they will be perky as ever.....
DSC_0014.JPG

DSC_0015.JPG

between the drizzles cleaned up and started to organize the cages and stakes to be tryed up and stacked for the winter... and painted the side door to the house.
DSC_0018.JPG

DSC_0019.JPG

the winter squash has squash in them..
DSC_0004.JPG

was able to do a harvest today.. more eggplant, highlander peppers and green beans those will be going to work tomorrow, the bells she will freeze.
she wants to do a canner of pints with baby green beans... and pulled all the 1st round of radishes as well.
DSC_0001.JPG

DSC_0012.JPG

and lastly the stump that was outside the raised bed fence has been burned down to this and still burning .. wonder how that bottle got in there?
DSC_0007.JPG

oh forgot .....
DSC_0010.JPG

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Several years after my grandparents' ranch was absorbed by a neighboring outfit, they tore the farmhouse down. I was a kid but had visited before and after the demolition.

Within the foundation were all these blue bottles of Vicks VapoRub .

:hu Mom remembered the ointment but couldn't think of why the bottles would have been saved. She had 8 brothers and sisters ... they are all gone but Vicks is still around.

Mayor', think twice before dousing that fire tonight with that bottle still laying there.

Steve

Latest posts