2015 journal of the gardens

majorcatfish

Garden Master
Reaction score
all done with this weekends chores and then some.... will bring my rubber boots home from work next friday so i can pressure wash everything before putting it away.
DSC_0004.JPG

if the forecast holds true will pull everything up, so i can till in some lime in and seed it with red clover and cover it with some straw for the winter...
DSC_0005.JPG

last of the eggplant..
DSC_0011.JPG

did find a couple tomato volunteers outside the fence..
DSC_0009.JPG

finished pulling rest of the radishes so could plant a bed of carrots found a couple more tomatoes as well.
DSC_0012.JPG

while in the bed area transplanted lettuce and bok chio over to their winter bed ... and gave everyone a good watering...
DSC_0001.JPG

topped all the brussel sprouts and watered them.. so far not happy with this variety<nope don't know their name> got them from stokes..
they are not budding out as they have in the past...
DSC_0002.JPG

majorcatfish

Garden Master
Reaction score
10/17/15 update
with this weekend cold snap they are calling for down to the low 30's and finally having a dry weekend took care of some long overdue chores.
pulled the last 4 winter squash and the last of the volunteer tomatoes.. will do fried green tomatos and the squash we will roast along with some carrots and beets.
DSC_0010.JPG

opened the fence up and tilled in calcium, this year using oats as an cover crop and covered with wheat straw. would have rather used red crimson clover but i waited to long to get it went to 3 feed stores nobody had any, so had no choose but to use oats. which is going to be interesting next spring the wheat straw that i purchased from lowes had a ton of wheat in it. so i might be doing a grain garden :lol: . tomorrow will pull the rest of the peppers which worked out just fine run out of oats will finish it up hopefully tomorrow.
DSC_0002.JPG

the peas my lord are filling out fingers crossed that they are wrong about the frost would hate to lose them at this point..
DSC_0003.JPG

the raised bed are still happy. dw canned 4 quarts of beets last weekend plus we have been enjoying wonderful salads...
DSC_0005.JPG

DSC_0006.JPG

put away all the toys and changed the oil in the truck, the old girl has 341k on her and only burned a quart of oil. not bad for a 97 f-350.........
have to service the g/t tomorrow she's running a bit rough....

and oh yes the windows are going to be closed tonight..........

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
So nice to have the garden all tidied up and put to bed. We're getting a freeze tonight (just skipped right over that whole first frost thing...) I spent the day bringing in tender plants and cleaned out one of the raised beds. Had some bean seed I was waiting on, one last variety. Latest bean I have ever grown. The pods were still green, just starting to die back. I pulled them up roots and all and put them in the basement. Hopefully at least a little of the seed was mature.

I think you'll be ok. The peas should be able to take some frost. Mine are always goners after a freeze.

That lettuce looks yummy. I am kicking myself for not planting any for fall this year.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Major, I have picked snow peas on a couple of mornings when they have been covered with frost. It was strange to leave fingerprints on veggies ...

They recovered just fine from both the cold and the handling. They were nice and crisp coming out of the fridge, over several days.

This is the first year I've grown snap peas late. They have done very well. Never tried shell peas for the fall.

Steve

Chickie'sMomaInNH

Garden Master
Reaction score
everything looks like it would make a come back for you. we got our 1st frost last night & it was a killing frost for anything tender. my 2 tomato volunteers didn't make it. my collards & kale don't look like they were bothered.

majorcatfish

Garden Master
Reaction score
this was just a light frost 36* tonight going to be 33* last year had the weather drop to 28* and the lettuce was fine, being the 1st year growing red oakleaf lettuce and peas was a bit worried about them. was going to finish up pulling everyone, but forgot that the feed store is on winter hours now...closed on sundays..poo but everyone is fine.. figure with the 33* tonight will be interesting on how the kiwi handles it will not know till i get home from work.

so went out to the barn and service the g/t..... she is happy now, pressure wash the engine just a wee bit filthy. did bring home my rubber boots to wash everything from the garden that's not going to happen today 55* and 20 mph winds with the wind chill that's about 47*. finally getting over whatever was going around no reason to tempt fate and getting sick again.. according the the 10 day next weekend will be in the upper 60's will hold off till then..

majorcatfish

Garden Master
Reaction score
well after reading the latest weather update for tonight made up my mind...pulled the main garden.....
................OFFICIALLY DONE IN THAT GARDEN ............
top 3 buckets are highlanders going to keep the middle bucket and roast and freeze them...
middle 2 are bell peppers going to dig through the right one for stuffing and omelets.
bottom 2 are sweet bananas peppers..might keep the red ones for salads...
everything else is going to work.....
DSC_0002.JPG

all i call say the main garden has sure been one productive garden this year...
now on to spending time with the raised beds for this winter.....

Last edited:

majorcatfish

Garden Master
Reaction score
dw said last night that i should put a sign out for donations to help out on seeds for next year
told her that a few have done that already,have their donations squirreled away of course they will always get first pickings next year..
the table at work sorry for the blurry photo.
photo 1.JPG

and the note...
photo 2.JPG

Last edited:

Latest posts