2015 Little Easy Bean Network - Old Beans Should Never Die !

VA_LongBean

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Russ, the beans were waiting for me in the mailbox this evening. A wonderful end to a good day! I planted 3 Admire Snitbonen, 4 Piet Special (bush), 3 Mammoth Golden Cluster and 4 Solwezi 64 (pole). I thought it prudent to hold back 2 of the Piet and Solwezi in case this attempt fails badly.

They are in peat pots sitting in the top tray of a jiffy setup, next to two full jiffy setups that are already sprouting like mad. If this heat wave holds up I might plant my first transplants in the garden by the end of next week.

Happy, Happy, Happy!

teamneu

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
The beans have arrived!
I plan to plant them Saturday.
This is all very interesting - thanks!

IMG_2370.JPG IMG_2373.JPG IMG_2374.JPG

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
Got my bens , Russ. Looking good. I'm quite happy with your choices for me.

Red.JPG

3 each Lohrey's Special - #19 - a reddish striped pole bean.
6 each Feijao - #65 - A reddish solid bean, presumed pole.
maybe 30 Imbotyi Imswi - no file number from you - Dark brown bush bean.

White.JPG
12 each Zambezi #3 - #31 - White solid bean, presumed pole.
11 each Star 2000 - #50 - Small solid white bush bean.

I understand that some may not still be viable but with all but the 3 Lohrey's special I'll make two separate plantings at different times in different locations to give them the best shot I can. And I'll only start after my other beans have come up so I'll know the soil is warm enough.

The excitement has started.

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
@Ridgerunner , I had a 3 bean sample with one of mine last year. I started them in peat pots so I could baby them and it worked out very well. I planted them while they were still pretty small, breaking apart the corners of the peat pots before planting. I agree on planting in different locations--just in case a groundhog finds one, he won't get them all!

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
Groundhogs and rabbits are what I'm most worried about. I've had problems with both. I even had a problem with rats eating beans as they sprouted one year. Oh the joys of gardening with animals.

I had a three bean sample last year and built an inverted box out of lumber and hardware cloth to go over it until they reached a decent size just for that added layer of protection. I also had a six-bean sample where none sprouted although I tried those in different places at different times. Russ, ever the gentleman, mentioned that a gardener understands that these things happen.

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
I've had to put a wire cage around mine too. I like the box idea. We have a big groundhog we're after right now that put its burrow entrance right under the door to the little barn. Stepped there and the ground gave way. Lucky I did not break my ankle. Hoping to get it before it has babies. They are so darn sneaky!

sea-kangaroo

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
San Francisco Bay Area (zone 9, Sunset 15)
@Ridgerunner, I grew Lohrey's Special last year and it was a champ, I think you'll enjoy it. Very productive, trouble-free, great big long pods and big seeds, pretty flowers. I got mine in a trade from Germany but it's from the Lohrey family in Tasmania originally. Supposed to have a naturally-salty flavor. It's definitely a climber but isn't as out-of-control-rocketing towards the sky as some varieties are. Mine grew draped over and all around a few tomato cages, forming a sort of hedge.

the1honeycomb

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Very excited! I am ready to put those beans straight into the garden no going into the house first!! had to take down most of my onions but I am ready
thank you so much Russ your generosity never fails to amaze me!!!!

Blue-Jay

Garden Master
Reaction score
These are now the last two beans that are still left to complete our renewal of the African collection.

Prizewinner (pole), and Purple Champion (pole)

Latest posts