2015 Little Easy Bean Network - Old Beans Should Never Die !

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
@aftermidnight , I can't wait to hear how your Lazy Wife beans turn out. Maybe they're greasies too and it was not noted. Many of these Appalachian family heirloom beans were originally purchased from a seed company back in the day, but the family just continued to grow out their own seed rather than purchase new. After 50 years or so of growing and sometimes some variation they'd have their own bean and a lot times the trade names were forgotten or dropped and some have been renamed after the family or the locale. The two beans could be closely related. :)

VA_LongBean

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Hoping mine will come Monday or Tuesday . . . of course I can't plant any beans outside just yet . . . well I could start some indoors. :)

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
I didn't post on that thread about @journey11 's chicks but should have. With the post office consolidating routes to operate more cost-effectively, certain routes from the hatchery to you may be more convoluted than you would expect. I'd suggest if you have trouble with a delivery from one hatchery, order from a different hatchery next time. I know her second shipment were replacements for the first so had to be from the same hatchery, but problems twice in a row sounds like more than just a coincidence. I think route may have something to do with it.

I got some from Ideal Hatchery that shipped Wednesday February 11 and they arrived early Thursday morning February 12th. About 24 hours in the mail which is great but I suspect they had a pretty direct route to me.

flowerweaver

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Ideal is just a couple hours from me, but I had the worst experience with them several years ago even though the chicks were in the mail only a day. The order was mixed up, there were chicks missing, chicks I didn't order, dead chicks, blind chicks, chicks with broken legs. Previously we had a perfect shipment of chicks from Murry McMurry that were two or three days in the mail. So, closer isn't always better.

I hope you had a better experience with them Ridgerunner.

Latest posts