2015 Little Easy Bean Network - Old Beans Should Never Die !

Blue-Jay

Garden Master
Reaction score
Ok @baymule. I'll send you Chilean Butter and the Portugese White Alubia. Don't know if they are pole or bush. Never got any info on their growth habit when they were sent here.

Blue-Jay

Garden Master
Reaction score
Thanks Riderunner for taking 5 varieties. We are now down to the last 6 seed samples of the African collection. This almost feels like a Telethon. I might as well name them. Zebra (pole), Star 2052 (bush snap), Prizewinner (pole), Solwezi #63 (pole), Purple Champion (pole), and Ibotyi Umthubi (bush). Wow ! looks like we might get the African collection of beans all grown out this year. They are going fast I hope we get takers for the last 6 seed samples.

VA_LongBean

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I picture you talking with a blond woman with bouffant hair, a bank of telephones along the back wall. Suddenly a phone begins to jingle . . . Special thanks to the volunteers from the College of William and Mary for manning our phones tonight. :)

Blue-Jay

Garden Master
Reaction score
Oh Va_Longbean that is so funny. That is the best laugh I've had today. I'm the Jerry Lewis of the bean world today. Let me introduce to you wearing her golden spotted seedcoat. Here she is Alice Sunshine !

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
Russ I'll be glad to grow them out and will document their growth and production.

VA-longbean you are too funny!

VA_LongBean

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Hi Russ,

It just dawned on me that I picked four beans with not very exciting seed coats. Here's hoping for exciting pod color. :D

Also, once I get my longbeans growing I'll change my avatar. I'm thinking me holding a coil of the oh-so-delicious pods!

Adam

Blue-Jay

Garden Master
Reaction score
Hi VA,

There weren't a lot of colorful beans this year. Most of those got picked over and grown last year. However it will still be nice to see what the new seed on all these varieties look like. They will be lighter and brighter.

Also just as a reminder if anyone gets seed that doesn't grow after planting. Let me know right away I can send something else to grow.

Blue-Jay

Garden Master
Reaction score
I have a new little piece of info to share in regards to some of the beans that went out this year. We didn't know what the growth habit was on a few of the varieties. solucky grew the Zambezi #1 last year. I just opened her seed return. We didn't know what Zambezi growth habit was but now we know. It is a Vigorous climbing pole type. So teamneu who got Zambezi #2 and ridgrunner who is getting Zambezi #3 those beans are very likely to be pole beans. solucky also grew Feijao Catarino and it turned out to be a pole bean too. So ridgerunner you will have Feijao this year, and I would say that it's very likely to turn out to be a pole bean too.

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
Thanks, that helps. Feijoa is red and Zambezi is white so I can plant them relatively close together without getting them mixed up. I already know here they are going, some place they can be vigorous.

Now if I can just figure out how to pronounce Feijoa????

Latest posts