2017 Little Easy Bean Network – Everything Beans, Post It Here & Join The Fun

HmooseK

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
We have a bunch to grow out. Some bush, some pole. Just need to figure which ones to plant and where to put what.

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
I think there are a couple of beans around with the name Jumbo..."Jumbo"..."Jumbo Roma" bush types with runners, there's probably more.
I have a few "Jumbo" and another one called "Jembo Polish" (similar looking seed) in the freezer, just samples as I found these for someone else and being the bush types have not grown them myself.
"Breck's Italian" supposedly a pole bean, has similar looking pods and seeds, I'm growing a sample this year, we'll see. I want to compare it to the Italian pole bean I grew in the 60's but lost.
Ahhhh, the fascinating world of beans:).

Annette

i know, they get around... :)

this is the site/page i found easily enough:

http://www.amishlandseeds.com/beans-snap-soup.htm

i'd like to grow every bean i could find. i still remember
growing a single bean plant inside in a container way back
when i was a kid. i still have the actual image in my
memory for some reason. a very bright blue plastic pot in
the shape of a tulip of sorts. funny how noodles work... :)

aftermidnight

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
i know, they get around... :)

this is the site/page i found easily enough:

http://www.amishlandseeds.com/beans-snap-soup.htm

i'd like to grow every bean i could find. i still remember
growing a single bean plant inside in a container way back
when i was a kid. i still have the actual image in my
memory for some reason. a very bright blue plastic pot in
the shape of a tulip of sorts. funny how noodles work... :)

The only trouble is this gal doesn't always get her info right. Take her TANYA'S PINK TIP BUSH ROMANO BEAN -HARD TO FIND-
Wrong name, should read ....."Tanya's Pink Pod" and not all that hard to find

Tanya was an employee of SALT BRUSH ISLAND SEED COMPANY, near Vancouver, British Columbia in 1990s.
Not quite right...Tanya was an employee of Salt SPRING Seeds, near Vancouver British Columbia, actually on Salt Spring Island. I guess it's like the game first person whispers something into the next persons ear, then on to the next person and so on. When you get to the end of the line the last person says what was passed on to them :).
I have ordered from there when she still shipped to Canada and was always pleased with how her seed produced but I've always wondered if the "Purple Italian Marconi Stringless" was something else as I could never find any information on it other than her website, pretty bean tho...
DSCN3835.JPG

Annette

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
@aftermidnight

i sure don't have any experiences with ordering many beans from any websites other than one and that seems to have gone well enough, but how they grew their supplies of seeds, if they kept them isolated, etc. who really knows what they've done? i'm pretty sure in one case that they sent a blend of many different varieties and i'm ok with that because it gave me a lot of diversity i didn't have before and they seem to all be fairly productive beans. i've been selecting and isolating the varieties since then because i like to know what i'm planting and what i should be getting so that if strange things happen i know it is actually something new.

how many crosses and odd balls that i've gotten came from what has happened here or at other locations? i'd consider that a very hard to answer question with any great degree of accuracy other than saying "perhaps some have happened elsewhere". now what i've been mostly growing the past six years have been things i've grown so any things hidden in there should be out by now. perhaps... :)

i have no argument with either of you or the website i quoted. have you ever sent your corrections to them?

purple pods pretty! :)

aftermidnight

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
@flowerbug
"i have no argument with either of you or the website i quoted. have you ever sent your corrections to them?"
You bring up a good point, I just finished emailing Lisa the information, I hope she doesn't take offense to me offering the correction. I know Dan Jason owner of "Salt Spring Seeds" and have talked beans with him on several occasions as well as sharing some of the beans I have with him. Salt Spring Island is just a 30 minute drive and a 20 minute ferry ride for me.
I just looked at her website to get her email addy and apparently her good friend Cliff who grew so many of the beans she sells has passed way. This must be a big blow to her both personally and for her business.
Annette

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
@flowerbug
"i have no argument with either of you or the website i quoted. have you ever sent your corrections to them?"
You bring up a good point, I just finished emailing Lisa the information, I hope she doesn't take offense to me offering the correction. I know Dan Jason owner of "Salt Spring Seeds" and have talked beans with him on several occasions as well as sharing some of the beans I have with him. Salt Spring Island is just a 30 minute drive and a 20 minute ferry ride for me.
I just looked at her website to get her email addy and apparently her good friend Cliff who grew so many of the beans she sells has passed way. This must be a big blow to her both personally and for her business.
Annette

recruit her for TEG?! :) *heeheehee!* :) have her join in the network with Russ, etc. i can't imagine it being an easy thing to run a small seed business.

i think these days you pretty much have to do it for the love alone.

aftermidnight

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Has anyone here grown Pretzel beans (Vigna unguiculata) I did once just a couple of seeds on a pole in the greenhouse, I think I got seed from 3 pods. I was transferring seed from my fridge into my freezer and found them. Has anyone eaten them or were they just grown as a novelty. The only pic I took was of a flower :barnie.
DSCN2801.JPG
Annette

aftermidnight

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
@Tricia77 @Bluejay77 I bit the bullet and ordered Buenas Aires Roja from the Secret Seed Cartel, 3 weeks later they're here all the way from France, heck I've had mail take longer here in Canada. Cost me $10 US total, I think this is REALLY reasonable for the amount of seed they sent (90). They couldn't have squeezed another bean in the packet, Well maybe one or two:).
DSCN7157.JPG

And... look what they sent me as a freebee, I'm still trying to scrape my jaw off the floor:th.
DSCN7162.JPG
Pawnee, isn't this one of Russ' bush beans? It looks like it's alive and well in France.

Annette

Last edited:

HmooseK

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
@aftermidnight

The lady from Secret Seed Cartel is also a member of Tomatoville. I've looked over her site and she offers a lot of nice stuff

Latest posts