2017 Little Easy Bean Network – Everything Beans, Post It Here & Join The Fun

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
It's ok to drop the word "cornfield" from the bean name. It just means pole bean. Being an Appalachian heirloom, it's called that because they were traditionally grown with corn stalks for support.

Pulsegleaner

Garden Master
Reaction score
SORT OF got my list together. Though there are pretty few "normal beans"

Common beans
Voatavu (have a packet lying around, so what the heck)
Unknown super tiny black bean (found in hunting)

Cow Peas
Avakli (pretty much same situation as the Voatavus)
Owl's Eye (my name for the mottled eye cowpea I get from the mixed beans, pretty reliable)
Great Owl (again my name, similar to Owl's eye but larger and a speckled rather than mottled eye)
Madman's Brush (my name again white bean with fuzzy black eye that looks like a paint spatter)
Unknown black skinned cowpea with green cotyledons
Assorted other odds and ends (tiny blacks, speckled seeds, brown two tones etc.)

Rice beans
Assorted minor colors (tan, red with mottle, tan with mottle) plus a few ultra minors (black blue pinto) that will get special treatment (i.e. a start in peat pots one by one rather than direct sowing)

Adzuki
Mottled seeds of medium to small size
Black seeds, to be pre soaked and then divided by color (brown direct sowed in garden, blue, sowing in protected pot)

Mung
Assorted small seeded types

Peas
Whatever marmorated seed I have left

Wing beans
Richter's Herbs strain as it is supposed to be adapted to a Canadian length season and so (one supposes) to a New York one.

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
SORT OF got my list together. Though there are pretty few "normal beans"

Common beans
Voatavu (have a packet lying around, so what the heck)
Unknown super tiny black bean (found in hunting)

Cow Peas
Avakli (pretty much same situation as the Voatavus)
Owl's Eye (my name for the mottled eye cowpea I get from the mixed beans, pretty reliable)
Great Owl (again my name, similar to Owl's eye but larger and a speckled rather than mottled eye)
Madman's Brush (my name again white bean with fuzzy black eye that looks like a paint spatter)
Unknown black skinned cowpea with green cotyledons
Assorted other odds and ends (tiny blacks, speckled seeds, brown two tones etc.)

Rice beans
Assorted minor colors (tan, red with mottle, tan with mottle) plus a few ultra minors (black blue pinto) that will get special treatment (i.e. a start in peat pots one by one rather than direct sowing)

Adzuki
Mottled seeds of medium to small size
Black seeds, to be pre soaked and then divided by color (brown direct sowed in garden, blue, sowing in protected pot)

Mung
Assorted small seeded types

Peas
Whatever marmorated seed I have left

Wing beans
Richter's Herbs strain as it is supposed to be adapted to a Canadian length season and so (one supposes) to a New York one.

that's quite a list. i have some black and white ones called skunk peas. not sure i will get much from them, but will try a few this season to see what happens.

Pulsegleaner

Garden Master
Reaction score
Actually it's even LONGER, I forgot about the soybeans Again an assortment of what I have managed to accumulate , with the largest portion going to work on my wrinkle project (I am trying to see if there is a wrinkled seed gene in soybeans the way there is in peas since that might be of use commercially [since that gene works by inhibiting the conversion of sugars to starch I think a soybean that has it would be sweeter and make a tastier edamame bean])

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
Actually it's even LONGER, I forgot about the soybeans Again an assortment of what I have managed to accumulate , with the largest portion going to work on my wrinkle project (I am trying to see if there is a wrinkled seed gene in soybeans the way there is in peas since that might be of use commercially [since that gene works by inhibiting the conversion of sugars to starch I think a soybean that has it would be sweeter and make a tastier edamame bean])

that's very interesting! i've never seen any wrinkles in soybeans here. i have some peas with a hammered kind of texture in places on them and i was going to see if i could get the whole pea that texture, but then i got going on beans and haven't looked at it again.

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
Thank You @flowerbug,

Leave Kissimmee, Fla early Thursday morning April 5. Should arrive late afternoon in Pikeville, Kentucky for the Appalachian Seed Swap Saturday April 7th. April 8th leave early in the morning for Woodstock, Il.

Where's that one? Pikeville is only 2.5 hours from me. I'll have to plan on that next year. I'm in NC this week.

Have a good trip! Hope you find some cool stuff while you're there.