2017 Little Easy Bean Network – Everything Beans, Post It Here & Join The Fun

Blue-Jay

Garden Master
Reaction score
"Genesis" Another pole lima from Curt Burroughs large lima collection. Curt had gotten this bean from the USDA seed bank in Pullman, Washington.

Genesis #1.jpg

#65 - Genesis

Blue-Jay

Garden Master
Reaction score
@Bluejay77

the Dry Rustproof Golden Wax are not
only different in seed shape they are
also different in seed marking and the pod
from Top Notch.

how are they for flavor?

i'm very happy with the Top Notch beans. i've tried some others and didn't like them as well in comparison (cherokee wax was one of them) and none were as productive or as good.

@flowerbug, I haven't grown enough of Rustproof Golden Wax to try them, but I would bet they are pretty much the same.

aftermidnight

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
"Emilia's Italian" Pole snap variety from Italy sent to me by Aftermidnight last year in 2016. I grew them only for seed this year. Will grow some for snaps next year. Hope they are stringless ! Bean grew true to type. No off types. Beautiful red splashed pods.

View attachment 22680
#61 - Emilia's Italian

View attachment 22681
Dry Emilia's Italian pod

We eat this one as a snap bean, the closest bean I've found to it is Uncle Steve's Italian but Uncle Steve's pods get fibrous well before this one does. Don't remember strings being a problem before the pods start to swell with seed. A good old standby at our house. The first picking I steam, cook some diced bacon and pour the whole lot over the beans, freshly ground pepper and... if not enough DH is out of luck :drool.

Annette

Blue-Jay

Garden Master
Reaction score
"Bubblegum" This year I grew the bean that Tricia77 named last year and found neon pink pods growing on some of her plants, but I didn't get the pods that inspired the beans name. Got some red on some of the pods but that was it. Still will be searching for that gene combination that gives the bright pink pods. I got some very faint red speckling on some of the seeds with a bit of red on the pods.

Bubblegum #1.jpg

#66 - Bubblegum not

Harwood Bubblegum-8-21-17.jpg

Just a blush of red

aftermidnight

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
"Karachaganack" Grew as a semi runner. Ridgerunner's bean he named in 2016. Beautiful bean. Grew true to type for color of the seed coat, but I just think I detect two slightly different seed shapes. The bean came from the Will Bonsall outcrosses packet #39

View attachment 22683
#63 - Karachaganak - Rounder seed

View attachment 22684
Karachaganak - Longer Seed

View attachment 22686
Dry Karachaganak Pod

That is a beautiful bean Russ, I wish I was younger and had more ambition it would be on my want list

Annette

Blue-Jay

Garden Master
Reaction score
"Rosiclare" Another pole lima from Curt Burroughs collection. The bean was first listed in the Seed Savers Exchange yearbook in 1988 and traded among SSE members in the 1990's then suddenly disappeared after 1996. When SSE member Tom Knoche of Ohio passed away in 2013 Curt and his friend Glen Drowns of The Sandhill Preservation Center found the bean in Tom's freezer seed collection. It's is suspected that the bean was originally a cross that came out of the lima "Christmas". Very productive too.

Rosie Claire #1.jpg

#68 - Rosiclare

aftermidnight

Garden Addicted
Reaction score

Latest posts