2017 Little Easy Bean Network – Everything Beans, Post It Here & Join The Fun

aftermidnight

Garden Addicted
Reaction score

Blue-Jay

Garden Master
Reaction score
"Snowstorm" Pole lima. This bean is also from Curt Burroughs lima collection. I couldn't find out how productive this bean is as I grew it in a bit of shade part of the day. The beans are large like "Christmas" lima. Beans develop just a couple of dark specks sometimes. First photo is the original seed sent to me and then second photo is seed I grew this year.

snowstorm.jpg
#71 - Snowstorm

Snowstorm #1.jpg
Snowstorm 2017

aftermidnight

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
"Desaranto Potato" Semi runner and productive. Has the consistency of and can be mashed like potatoes when cooked.

View attachment 22699
#70 - Desaranto Potato

View attachment 22700
Dry Desaranto Potato pods

Russ check the spelling on this one I have it as Deseronto, it's very close to Duane Baptiste, both potato beans but the seed is a little different in shape.
Desoronto.JPG Duane.JPG
Deseronto Potato Bean..................................Duane Baptiste Potato Bean

Annette

aftermidnight

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
"Snowstorm" Pole lima. This bean is also from Curt Burroughs lima collection. I couldn't find out how productive this bean is as I grew it in a bit of shade part of the day. The beans are large like "Christmas" lima. Beans develop just a couple of dark specks sometimes. First photo is the original seed sent to me and then second photo is seed I grew this year.

View attachment 22701 #71 - Snowstorm

View attachment 22702 Snowstorm 2017

I wish I could grow limas up here, as a rule we don't get the kind of summers these guys need. I did grow Black Jungle Butter Beans in the greenhouse one year, only had a small harvest and the few we tried were mouth watering delicious.

Annette

Blue-Jay

Garden Master
Reaction score
@aftermidnight,

I'll have to check the spelling of Desaronto Potato in some old SSE yearbooks. I might have it wrong. I do stuff like that now-a-days. I might be getting old timers disease. LOL.

We didn't have a lot of 90 degree weather here in the summer mostly 80+ farenheit temps. but the limas did well anyway.

I planted Duane Baptiste this year too but it was in my big bean garden that got drowned out with too much rain soon after planting. Will try again next year. The couple of Duane Baptiste that did survive seemed rather upright in structure. Desaranto climbed a bit but not very high.

I'll send you some of the "Fasold" snap beans. You might get around to growing them one day. Another pole snap I like is "Weaver" long wide flat pods. Seed historian William Woys Weaver (no relation to the bean) thinks "Weaver" was a product of a small seed company in California in the 1920's. Might have been a regional favorite.

aftermidnight

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
@aftermidnight,

I'll have to check the spelling of Desaronto Potato in some old SSE yearbooks. I might have it wrong. I do stuff like that now-a-days. I might be getting old timers disease. LOL.

We didn't have a lot of 90 degree weather here in the summer mostly 80+ farenheit temps. but the limas did well anyway.

I planted Duane Baptiste this year too but it was in my big bean garden that got drowned out with too much rain soon after planting. Will try again next year. The couple of Duane Baptiste that did survive seemed rather upright in structure. Desaranto climbed a bit but not very high.

I'll send you some of the "Fasold" snap beans. You might get around to growing them one day. Another pole snap I like is "Weaver" long wide flat pods. Seed historian William Woys Weaver (no relation to the bean) thinks "Weaver" was a product of a small seed company in California in the 1920's. Might have been a regional favorite.

Don't talk spelling with me I once made a comment on another forum to please BARE with me, the response I got was I don't think I know you well enough :lol:.

I sometimes hit the wrong keys and don't check or without thinking use the wrong spelling of a word like to, too and two but usually catch it, that is if I check before hitting send:(.

Annette

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
"Karachaganack" Grew as a semi runner. Ridgerunner's bean he named in 2016. Beautiful bean. Grew true to type for color of the seed coat, but I just think I detect two slightly different seed shapes. The bean came from the Will Bonsall outcrosses packet #39

View attachment 22683
#63 - Karachaganak - Rounder seed

View attachment 22684
Karachaganak - Longer Seed

View attachment 22686
Dry Karachaganak Pod

I grew Karachaganak this year and also noticed a small difference in the seed shape, same as Russ. Both my plants were about 8 feet tall, not semi-runner. I called then pole but right on that edge of half-runner to pole. Not hugely productive but much better than last year.

Karchaganak Composite.JPG

I plan to grow a couple of each bean shape next year to see what I get. I'd really like this one to stabilize, I think it is extremely pretty. I'm really encouraged that Russ's had the same seed coat but with his throwing semi-runners stability may be a ways off.

aftermidnight

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
@aftermidnight,

Fasold, you know Russ you are feeding my addiction but I can't resist this one, many thanks.

Weaver, I got this one from you and only grew for seed last year, I think it's one of the ones I sent seed back to you. Looking forward to growing it again and this time getting a taste:).

Annette

Blue-Jay

Garden Master
Reaction score
Annette

I'm still waiting for delivery of the beans I ordered for you from Amishland over a week ago. They told me they sent them last friday and should have been here this past monday. Not of sign of a seed package in my mailbox all week.

This leads me to the question to ask everyone here on this thread. Has anyone ever had trouble getting seeds from Amishland?

Blue-Jay

Garden Master
Reaction score
Annette,

I checked the 2008 SSE yearbook and found that I had spelled Deseronto incorrectly. I just changed it on my website too.

Last edited:

Latest posts