2017 Little Easy Bean Network – Everything Beans, Post It Here & Join The Fun

aftermidnight

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Annette

I'm still waiting for delivery of the beans I ordered for you from Amishland over a week ago. They told me they sent them last friday and should have been here this past monday. Not of sign of a seed package in my mailbox all week.

This leads me to the question to ask everyone here on this thread. Has anyone ever had trouble getting seeds from Amishland?

When I ordered from her she still sent to Canada, ordered several times with no problems. Maybe they are coming tortoise mail, snails probably move a little quicker. Remember 'Bob and Mary' took 4 months and 4 days to get here from the UK, should have only taken 7-10 days. If she's messing up she's not going to stay in business very long.

Annette

Blue-Jay

Garden Master
Reaction score
@aftermidnight,

I just got a Paypal refund from Lisa the Amish lady. That was nice of here to do that. She said I should have bought insurance when I purchased the beans. She doesn't resend to places where the shipment doesn't get delivered the first time. So I guess the hunt is on again for Breck's Italian. This is the first time I didn't get seeds delivered when ordering from some place here in the country when I ordered them. I guess there's a first time for everything. Maybe they will show up in the Seed Savers yearbook early in the new year.

aftermidnight

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
@aftermidnight,

I just got a Paypal refund from Lisa the Amish lady. That was nice of here to do that. She said I should have bought insurance when I purchased the beans. She doesn't resend to places where the shipment doesn't get delivered the first time. So I guess the hunt is on again for Breck's Italian. This is the first time I didn't get seeds delivered when ordering from some place here in the country when I ordered them. I guess there's a first time for everything. Maybe they will show up in the Seed Savers yearbook early in the new year.

Giving her the benefit of the doubt here. Buying insurance for a pkt. of beans? Possibly she didn't have any and forgot to take them off her website. At least she had the cutesy to reimburse you. Still interested in the Fasold, I will reimburse you for postage and packaging, this way I can hit you up again down the road :).

Annette

Last edited:

Tricia77

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
"Yellow Jacket" True bush grows without runners. An out cross with a bush Borlotti bean and the Danish bean variety Prinsesse. This bean has not been very productive or grown very well. I have often thought about giving up on the idea of growing it any further. Pods are short and don't usually contain very many beans.

View attachment 22645
#50 - Yellow Jacket

View attachment 22646
Dry Yellow Jacket Pods
Does Yellow Jacket have yellow pods?

Tricia77

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
@aftermidnight,

Russ I don't live far from Lisa. This is Lisa from Amishland Seeds right? I can try to get them from her.

Tricia77

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Russ, I was wondering about all your limas you grew this year...
Do you distance them apart or grow them amongst all your pole varieties close together. Do you ever have trouble with them crossing? I have so many in my collection I want to grow, but someone told me they cross easily with each other so you have to distance them from each other. I was also told the opposite. Just wondering your thoughts about the topic.

Blue-Jay

Garden Master
Reaction score
Hi Tricia,

Lisa is from Amishland. I was trying to get the Breck's Italian so I could send it to Annette in Canada because Lisa won't send seed to Canada anymore. If you can get those beans from her go right ahead. I will wait until I find out what happens with your effort to get them.

Yellow Jacket does not have yellow pods. I thought the seed coat base color looked rather yellow. Hence the name Yellow Jacket.

The limas are grown scattered amongst phaseolus vulgaris pole beans. So far I have not seen any crossing in limas that I have grown at least three times. With some limas that I find out crosses from are usually the first grow out after I've received them from someone else. Will have to see if this changes with time.

One year Seed Savers Exchange didn't like the look of their Ganymede lima they had in their inventory so they asked me for a donation of newer Ganymede seeds. Seed Savers Exchange told me they found 15% outcrossed seeds among Ganymede when I sent them a 500 seed sample one time, but I had never seen it myself. So I selected 8 seeds to grow and isolated Ganymede in the south flowerbed at my house. It was the only lima growing there for two season. I selected 8 seeds each season from the newest seed crop to carry on to the next generation for two years and didn't find any off type seeds. I suppose I had isolated the pure strain of Ganymede again. I sent Seed Savers Exchange a new 500 seed sample of Ganymede. So far I haven't heard anything negative from them. If you do find outcrossing to an extreme level you might want to grow a variety where it can't be close to another variety of the same spieces.

Speaking of outcrossing. Last year was the second time I've grown out Tennessee Wonder and Landfrauen. Each variety had given me at least 50% maybe more of off type seeds. I would call that highly outcrossed. So the crossing didn't happen in my garden it had to happen in the garden from who I got the seed from. It takes two seasons to see the new seed coat.

Anyway I got a little carried away about my explanation of how I grow out my limas. I've also heard they cross easier.

Last edited:

Blue-Jay

Garden Master
Reaction score
This next series of photos will be the Semi Runner beans I grew out this year. "Fort Portal Jade was grown out again this year. Most of my 2015 FPJ was sold to Joseph Simcox and Baker Creek Seeds. 2016's crop was almost nothing and this year was not very large as well, but I still have enough seed to keep them going until I hit that magic year again.

Fort Portal Jade #1.jpg

#72 - Fort Portal Jade

Blue-Jay

Garden Master
Reaction score
Another semi runner I grew this year is "Candy" an original bean that I found growing among "Big Light Red Trout" back around 1982 and named as it reminded me of a peppermint candy stick. The bean is sold by at least two heritage seed companies in Canada, and has found it's way into bean collections as far away as Europe. The bean is held in the USDA seed collection in Pullman, Washington under the accession number of PI 642142. It is also Seed Savers Exchange Bean #2764.

Candy #1.jpg

#73 - Candy

Blue-Jay

Garden Master
Reaction score
"Tiger Eye" another very pretty semi runner did not give me a large seed crop this year. I think I could hold all the harvested beans in two hands. I had deer nibling on my semi runner beans a bit this year. This bean was planted on the west side of my semi runner plot, and the deer didn't seem to want to nible on any beans on the east side of the plot.

Tiger Eye #1.jpg

#74 - Tiger Eye

Latest posts